Favorite diesel can?

/ Favorite diesel can? #1  

TuckR

Tractor
Kubota L3302
Hi all, looking for a purchase recommendation. I'm looking for a diesel container to fuel my Kubota L3302. It'll hold 14 11 gallons, and I really don't want to buy three two 5gal diesel containers. The glass can I bought were for gas, and they sucked, so hoping to use the collective knowledge here to point me in the right direction. Currently I'm burning through a lot of diesel as I turn a rural 20 acres property into a homesite, but I expect my fuel use will fall precipitously once the property is established, so I'm not terribly interested in big tanks as I just wont be able to use it fast enough.

I've looked at the Scepter Duramax and the John Down 15 Gallon can, but the reviews where mixed enough that I hesitated on pulling the trigger.

What say you?

Last edited:
   / Favorite diesel can? #2  
The cost of a 15-100 gallon tank, plus a pump. That is quality enough to last. Compared to 3-5 five gallon cans…it’s a no brainer for me.

Plus as soon as you get beyond 10 gallons the ability to move your tank around by hand quickly gets really hard.

I like VP race cans, can pour it like you mean it and they are tough. I’d like to have a 250-500 gal tank to fill once a year when prices are low but I’d still probably fill my tractors with five gallon cans a lot. I hay and all the places I hay are far from home, not uncommon for me to burn 30 gallons in a day between my two small hay tractors. I’d never mount a tank in my truck, maybe a skid, but five gallon cans are just too cheap and easy for us guys that aren’t using 100s of gallons a day.

/ Favorite diesel can? #3  
The cost of a 15-100 gallon tank, plus a pump. That is quality enough to last. Compared to 3-5 five gallon cans…it’s a no brainer for me.

Plus as soon as you get beyond 10 gallons the ability to move your tank around by hand quickly gets really hard.

I like VP race cans, can pour it like you mean it and they are tough. I’d like to have a 250-500 gal tank to fill once a year when prices are low but I’d still probably fill my tractors with five gallon cans a lot. I hay and all the places I hay are far from home, not uncommon for me to burn 30 gallons in a day between my two small hay tractors. I’d never mount a tank in my truck, maybe a skid, but five gallon cans are just too cheap and easy for us guys that aren’t using 100s of gallons a day.
second the VP racing can, it is what i'm using after getting tired of the other crap with spill resistant crap caps.

/ Favorite diesel can? #4  
I don't know which can I have, it came with the tractor, but it flows fuel just a little faster than the tank on my Yanmar YM2310 can receive it because of the filter screen installed in the fuel tank opening. This means I am careful when filling the tank to hold the fuel can such that it is not flowing at the max. I like the VP racing cans but cannot use them because they flow too fast. I could get rid of this problem by removing the filter screen but I think it is necessary in my situation. Even though I am very careful when fueling and always make sure there is no debris hanging around that can fall into the fuel opening I still find pine needles in the filter screen. You may want to consider this if your fuel tank also has a filter screen.
Eric

/ Favorite diesel can?
I got a 30 gallon fuel caddy free from work since it was on the scrap pile for a defective handpump. $40.00 later from Harbor Freight....... a $500.00 something 30 gallon fuel caddy cost me only $40.00
Let me know if you see another one in the pile 😆

/ Favorite diesel can? #7  
If you are going anything bigger than 5 gallon cans, keep in mind the larger the can/tank, the logistics of moving it be come more complex..... IF really large you may have to consider truck mounted tank or onsite delivery....Personally my SCUT only holds about 7 gallons and I never let it get below half a tank so one 5 gallon can is enough, but have considered a second..... Also consider where you fuel filler is, mine is at same level as seat and I can rest can on fender as it fills tank.... Keep in mind #2 diesel weighs about 7.25 pounds to the gallon....

And yes I use one of the hated jugs because can rests on fender and spout drops into filler neck....

Diesel.jpg

Last edited:
   / Favorite diesel can? #9  
I have the 3901 don’t worry about your machine using a ton of fuel, the modern common rail diesel is much more fuel efficient than most older machines. I can dig all day with my backhoe running about 2000 rpm and not use 5 gallons. Brush hogging all day is about 8 gallons

/ Favorite diesel can? #10  
My favorite? Two plastic jerry cans that left the Army with me; I dropped some money into new seals for them, and some other parts, so I ought to be able to use them for a long time to come.