Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,941  
In 1917, Chairman of the U.S. War Industries Board Bernard Baruch asked women to stop buying corsets. Most corsets of the day were no longer made with whalebone, but with metal stays—metal that could be better used for the war effort. Women were eager to prove their patriotism, with 28,000 tons of steel being diverted, allegedly enough to build two battleships.
Nice story! That sounds about right for steel. The USS Mississippi which was laid down in 1917 displaced 32,000 tons, and was active in the last battleship to battleship battle fought in the Leyte Gulf Surigao Straights encounter. (25 Oct, 1944)

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,942  
CF8011EE-2049-4514-9E43-83FFECDEEB40.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,943  
I just discovered an app you can install on your phone or tablet "Scanner Radio". You put your or any area in search and it works just like the old scanners did years ago.
2023_04_09_20.54.09.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,944  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,945  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,947  

Commissioned in 1914 as the most powerful weapon in the world, the Battleship TEXAS is credited with the introduction and innovation of advances in gunnery, aviation, and radar. She is the last surviving Dreadnought as well as the only battleship in existence today that fought in both World War I and World War II.​

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,948  
From casting "pig iron", in the steel industry. Whenit sweats its time to remove it from the mold.

I know that this is one of the common explanations for the expression.

Personally, I have trouble with this for two reasons; a) The expression is nowhere near as old as iron smelting (1824). b) I have been in a foundry only a handful of times, but when I as present, it never got cold enough for condensation. So, it seems odd that something relatively few people would see in 1800, would come into common usage.

I don't have a better explanation, especially as pigs don't sweat.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited: