John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in…

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #1  

dieselbob69

Gold Member
Tractor
'21 Kubota BX2380
Hi folks! Nephew moving west and gave me his ‘92 GT 262. Getting it good to mow. He replaced the drive belt with Tractor Supply one. It is routed correctly. I’ve tried adjusting the pulleys to different spots. He said it’s always done that and it’s difficult to get in/out of gears, but says it gets a little better when it’s warmed up. I have the rear end supported and look underneath when it’s running. Belt is always turning, whether clutch is pushed in or not . Also noticed transmission pulley keeps going when clutch is pushed- is that normal or not? I disconnected clutch from transmission connection on bottom, and doesn’t seem to have much resistance when I move that shaft …

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #2  
The four possibilities that come to mind, in order of likelihood:

--Aftermarket belt is incorrect length/shape.
--Belt misrouted
--Pulley’s replaced with incorrect diameter substitutes
--Axle to engine distance has been altered

Seems to me acquiring an OEM belt and comparing dimension to the TSC special would be prudent.
Good luck at the JD parts counter; take a deep breath and bring your charge card…...

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #3  
JD has some proprietary “V” belt angle where frequently aftermarket belts just don’t work well even though they appear to be the same length.

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in…

--Belt misrouted

Seems to me acquiring an OEM belt and comparing dimension to the TSC special would be prudent.
Good luck at the JD parts counter; take a deep breath and bring your charge card…...
I was thinking that. But my local dealer has been surprising me on parts I have needed for this, in stock and cheaper than what I’ve found online( deck pulley tower /shift linkage bearings, bushings). Parts I needed for my 430 were hit and miss(not in stock, more expensive than online)…

--Belt misrouted

The only thing on your list that may be culprit is the TSC belt. Routing was checked. Pulleys look original, and no damage visible where rear axle is misaligned or mounted different.

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #6  
The only thing on your list that may be culprit is the TSC belt. Routing was checked. Pulleys look original, and no damage visible where rear axle is misaligned or mounted different.
Then take your belt off and go see dear Jon. Measure theirs against yours. Buy theirs and stop by parts house on way home and give them factory belt and buy the one they have that fits it. It ain't rocket science.

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #7  

--Belt misrouted

I assume that the OP did compare the original belt to the replacement, but I suppose that one that was on the machine was wrong to start with.

The other possibility is that the belt guides around the engine pulley have been removed, misassembled, or damaged and they no longer keep the belt from being grabbed by the engine pulley.

Richard

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #8  
The belt tension adjustment on these is the front idler pulley near the engine pulley. You adjust the tension to the point that the coil spring on the double looped link is 1.25" long.

The belt tension adjustment on these is the front idler pulley near the engine pulley. You adjust the tension to the point that the coil spring on the double looped link is 1.25" long.
Thank you for specific place to look( spring). I did buy the oem belt and still does move with clutch in. Belt still grabbing pulleys when pushed in. I have the front pulley adjusted so that it doesn’t slip in 5th or 6th, if I move it back any more it slips in those 2 gears. I’m calling it good enough…

That was spot on. Got the deck finished up yesterday and mowed a few minutes with it. Don’t like gears for mowing, used to hydros.

Attachments

• D94A8F24-E344-49B3-B604-865A24853665.jpeg
    D94A8F24-E344-49B3-B604-865A24853665.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 01B59D7C-54BF-495A-A024-C4896717971E.jpeg
    01B59D7C-54BF-495A-A024-C4896717971E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33