John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in…

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #11  
Thats a very nice condition 20 YO machine - glad you got it sorted out. Does this have the Kawasaki engine?

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in…
Thats a very nice condition 20 YO machine - glad you got it sorted out. Does this have the Kawasaki engine?
Yes, 17hp Kawasaki. Ran good, nephew gave it to me. Front plastic bumper was broken beyond repair, front grille was broken in big pieces. Put all OEM belts on. Biggest project was deck-new blades, new idler, new plastic bushings, new bearings in double pulley,new belt, new deck wheels, some welding/JB weld patches, and paint. Of course the grease from spindles sprayed all over the nice new paint🤣. The serial number is a first year model, 1992, so it is 31 years old😮. I’ll be selling it anyway, gonna mow with it today to make sure everything ok…

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #13  
I assume that the OP did compare the original belt to the replacement, but I suppose that one that was on the machine was wrong to start with.

The other possibility is that the belt guides around the engine pulley have been removed, misassembled, or damaged and they no longer keep the belt from being grabbed by the engine pulley.

Richard
His problem is that it keeps grabbing. Goes with clutch pedal depressed.

Yep. All guides are on. I shined the metal pulley up front on the inside. The 2 center pulleys are slid to slot that has least resistance on belt with clutch pushed in. If I slide the front pulley back anymore, it will cause 5th and 6th to slip. I have the back of tractor raised up on motorcycle/atv jack all the way to watch belt as tractor is running and clutch is in/out with my hand. It is loose, but still grabs the transmission pulley.When engine is off, I pull on belt with clutch down, it has plenty of slack so it shouldn’t spin pulley. It is the OEM John Deere belt. When you’re on smooth surface like blacktop or concrete, if tractor is in gear, it will move with clutch depressed. In the grass, it doesn’t move but you can here and feel the belt trying to grab the pulleys. Nephew said once transmission gets warmer, it’s not as bad. I’m gonna do some mowing with it in a bit to see if that is the case…

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #15  
That was spot on. Got the deck finished up yesterday and mowed a few minutes with it. Don’t like gears for mowing, used to hydros.

Gears are forever, hydro, not so much.

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #16  
…seen lotsa busted gears. I like HST too and always change the fluid ahead of schedule…😉

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #17  
I'm wondering if there is some rust on the pulleys that causes the grabbing?

/ John Deere GT262 keeps going when clutch pushed in… #18  
Yep. All guides are on. I shined the metal pulley up front on the inside. The 2 center pulleys are slid to slot that has least resistance on belt with clutch pushed in. If I slide the front pulley back anymore, it will cause 5th and 6th to slip. I have the back of tractor raised up on motorcycle/atv jack all the way to watch belt as tractor is running and clutch is in/out with my hand. It is loose, but still grabs the transmission pulley.When engine is off, I pull on belt with clutch down, it has plenty of slack so it shouldn’t spin pulley. It is the OEM John Deere belt. When you’re on smooth surface like blacktop or concrete, if tractor is in gear, it will move with clutch depressed. In the grass, it doesn’t move but you can here and feel the belt trying to grab the pulleys. Nephew said once transmission gets warmer, it’s not as bad. I’m gonna do some mowing with it in a bit to see if that is the case…

Typically, when the clutch is depressed, the drive belt would be released from the drive pulley on the engine. If the guides that keep the belt it's U-shape around the drive pulley, the belt will want to grab onto the pulley.

Can you post a photo of the drive pulley showing the belt guides that are in place ?

Richard

Ended up selling it. If I was on grass, wouldn’t creep in gear with clutch in- enough resistance, but on concrete or blacktop, it’d go. I told new owner about it, so he’s aware.