16k trailer with 14500 payload.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #12  
My guess is They are shifting load over to the truck, but they would have to also raise the GVWR.
It’s probably a combination of a misprint and/or a mistake.

I see that out of trailer sellers quite often.

I like the 17.5’s and the oil baths. Although usually 7k’s are not oil bath, but 8ks are. Nice trailer!

My dump trailer has 8k axels with oil bath caps but the axels are actually greased not filled with oil.
IMG_4622.JPG

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #13  
Speaking of China Bombs, I had to drive up to Ann Arbor this afternoon and I saw no less than 3 RV's on the side of the road with blown tires. Bet they were all 'One hung Loe' tires. Rv manufacturers like to put the cheapest tires on their trailers. All 3 had collateral damage from the blown tires too.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #14  
synthetic grease(y)

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #15  
Speaking of China Bombs, I had to drive up to Ann Arbor this afternoon and I saw no less than 3 RV's on the side of the road with blown tires. Bet they were all 'One hung Loe' tires. Rv manufacturers like to put the cheapest tires on their trailers. All 3 had collateral damage from the blown tires too.

Cheap tires don’t help but rv manufacturers typically use barley adequate axels that are overloaded by the time it’s all loaded with stuff.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #17  
Cheap tires don’t help but rv manufacturers typically use barley adequate axels that are overloaded by the time it’s all loaded with stuff.
Yep! that's why you have to know more than them and order one built correctly despite them saying the same trailer with tandem axles and 15" tires on the lot will "work just fine". :rolleyes:

FS3000_20070407 003.jpg
FS3000_20070423 008.jpg

Triple 6K axles, 16" tires Load range E.

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #18  
Payload would be defined by what we load on the trailer. No adjustment for tongue weight. Sounds better that way.... :)
Ah, but it's listed as "max capacity" not max payload.
Most likely they are assuming the "missing weight" will be tongue weight.

Aaron Z

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #19  
Better have good 10 ply tires on it and not China Bombs.
Uh.....he posted the trailer specs. 17.5" wheels with 16-ply tires ;)

/ 16k trailer with 14500 payload. #20  
Regarding the payload......yes manufactures like to play numbers games. Sometimes you have to call the MFG just to figure things out.

Some MFG's rate the GVWR of the trailer simply as the sum of axle ratings. Like 7k axles = 14k trailer. 8k axles = 16k trailer.

While other MFG's add 10%-15% because they assume the tongue weight. I have seen dual 7k axles rated at 15k for the trailer. And dual 8k axle trailers rated at 17k or 18k. Which is completely acceptable.

The tricky part is trying to assign a "payload" rating.

Again, some manufactures simply use the GVWR and deduct the trailers weight. Some try and deduct an assumed tongue weight. Again, completely acceptable. But its a dangerous game. Because you have to have a truck to handle that tongue weight....AND you have to be sure you have ENOUGH tongue weight to not overload trailer axles....and every load is gonna be unique with different amounts of tongue weight based on how people load. Which is why some MFG's dont even rate a payload.

But I will say......there is no way a trailer with a pair of only 7k axles is gonna haul 14.5k.

At the end of the day you have to do your own math.

So for the trailer given.....with a pair of 7k axles.....IF you put 14.5k on their lightest trailer of 2850lbs......your total load will be 17,350. Which means you need AT LEAST 3,350 pounds on the hitch to keep the axle pair UNDER 14k. Which is about 20% tongue weight.

And while you MAY have a truck that can handle the 3350# tongue weight.....the problem is the load will probably need shifted forward enough that you will actually overload the FRONT axle of the trailer. Like maybe 8k on the front axle and 6k on the rear and 3350 on the hitch.

What I think is more plausable is that those are NOT 7k axles and that its a typo. Most likely those are 8k axles. Especially since they list the brakes as 12-1/4 x 2-1/2" brakes. Those are typical 8k brakes and 7k brakes are 12x2.

So if that is indeed the case......Your 17350# worth of load.....put 10% on the tongue (1735#) and you are 15,615# over a pair of 8k axles. so good to go there.

But in any case....I'd call the manufacture to confirm and ask some of these questions. Confirm just what the axles are rated at? Are they indeed 8k axles. And if not....I'd walk. No way I'd want to tow a 14.5k load over anything less than 8k axles. Because there is NO way to do that without overloading at least the front trailer axle