Southern VA lot - What to do

/ Southern VA lot - What to do
Nice piece of land there! I like your idea of siting it higher and in the woods. Would that 40' higher provide better views?

The only downside is cost of utilities and driveway, and maybe a new septic perk test.
yes, especially to the south and east if I open up enough woods. here is a view from the lower left side of the field, as it starts to rise into the woods. Electric crosses the lot on the bottom side, about 30-40 yds from the proposed house site. The lot is not far from the Blue Ridge parkway and the appalachian trail goes up the ridge to the south. However, there is a 30 ft setback on the rear side, 60 ft on front, and 20 ft on sides. Even if it flats out near the top of the property, with the setback the house would have to be on the slope. I've seen houses on steeper slopes, so it's do able. However, county has some other crazy rules, like a barn can not be in front of the house. Now going up and down the neighboring roads, many have houses in the back of the property for a view, with barns in front. So probably just have to get a variance.

Attachments

• 20220915_134901__VA_wl-Lot_.JPG
    20220915_134901__VA_wl-Lot_.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Lot is somewhere in the middle of this view from the Blue Ridge Parkway. 2nd pic is drone shot over a little hill just to the east of the lot that doesn't allow a good view to the direct east.

Attachments

• 20220923_153712__VA_BlueRidgeParkway.JPG
    20220923_153712__VA_BlueRidgeParkway.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 60
  • DJI_0335.JPG
    DJI_0335.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 62
Looks like a beautiful piece of property and a well laid out plan. (y)

My questions would be, how long is the private road and who maintains it? Is there a POA and how is the ROW worded in the deeds?

I can tell you from personal experience that situations like this can become a nightmare with the wrong kind of neighbors involved.
It's half mile long drive to the end. It wraps around 2 sides of our lot and ends there, we could put drive in a couple places. These neighbors, except for the couple that just bought the house split off of this lot, have lived here a long long time. They are well established, and aren't going anywhere soon. The road is in acceptable shape, couple pot holes now.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #24  
Get a landscape rake for your BX. Rake the road once or twice a year and you'll be the neighborhood hero. ;)

IMG_8426.JPG

This picture intrigues me. Looks like a shelf or old road part way up the hill. I need to get up there and check it out.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #27  
Last fall I bought 7+ acres in southern VA near Roanoke. Decided to start a new thread dedicated to it. lot is mostly wooded, with nice open slightly sloping field. The woods has a hill, with about a 40ft rise. The land has a conventional perc. Our first goal was to build a small cabin for visits, but we have not decided exactly what we want. A pic showing overhead from google.
What is your "end goal" with the land?

Will it always be a "place away from home" or do you see yourself moving there permanently down the road time wise?

I'm only assuming you're approaching retirement in the near future?

How long of a drive from your current residence to this place?

Personally, we're about 10 or so years away from retirement, but how my wife's 76 year old mother plays out will determine how quick or slow we sell our "too large house" with "too much property" to look to buy something smaller in the future. Thinking of subdividing our property and kind of do the same thing you're at now, except we'd be moving across the creek LOL This is why I ask the above questions.

I've followed your threads. You know how to build a house and on the homebuilding contracting side, you know what you're doing. The question is does the funds you put in this place take away from any other future plans if you don't plan on living there permanently?

On a plus note, since you bought the land outright with cash and got a decent deal on it and owe nothing, absolute worse case scenario is you sit on it and should only make more money down the road if you decide to sell it. ANYTHING you decide to build on this property should also increase your return on investment at least twofold with the way things are going cost wise.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #28  
I'm no economist, stating that upfront.

It appears there is a housing shortage everywhere? Especially in urban and rural areas? In my area a properly priced property doesn't even need a realtor to sell. Word of mouth or a Walmart For Sale sign will do it.

How did that happen?

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #29  
I'm no economist, stating that upfront.

It appears there is a housing shortage everywhere? Especially in urban and rural areas? In my area a properly priced property doesn't even need a realtor to sell. Word of mouth or a Walmart For Sale sign will do it.

How did that happen?
Don't have the answer. But I'm helping my carpenter remodel our master bathroom, and materials alone were kind of out of this world per pricing.

Land alone would is a wise investment by the OP in a desirable area, which it seems.

What is your "end goal" with the land?

Will it always be a "place away from home" or do you see yourself moving there permanently down the road time wise?

I'm only assuming you're approaching retirement in the near future?

How long of a drive from your current residence to this place?

Personally, we're about 10 or so years away from retirement, but how my wife's 76 year old mother plays out will determine how quick or slow we sell our "too large house" with "too much property" to look to buy something smaller in the future. Thinking of subdividing our property and kind of do the same thing you're at now, except we'd be moving across the creek LOL This is why I ask the above questions.

I've followed your threads. You know how to build a house and on the homebuilding contracting side, you know what you're doing. The question is does the funds you put in this place take away from any other future plans if you don't plan on living there permanently?

On a plus note, since you bought the land outright with cash and got a decent deal on it and owe nothing, absolute worse case scenario is you sit on it and should only make more money down the road if you decide to sell it. ANYTHING you decide to build on this property should also increase your return on investment at least twofold with the way things are going cost wise.
Good question. Right now a place to get away to, but eventually maybe moving there if we like the immediate area and neighbors.
Or maybe flip the property if we think it won't work for us. Money in the bank is losing value, but real estate seems to be gaining.
this lot is convenient to I81, and less that 20 minutes to multiple groceries, Lowes, etc.
Originally I was looking for a lot with a better view. Before deciding on this lot, we had an offer on a property in WV that had magnificent view. We bailed on that when we found out wells in the area were over 700ft deep and would cost about $20-25K to drill. It was also almost entirely flat, on top of a mountain, and no trees. But the view. WV land was also an hour from most big stores like Lowes or HD. It did have TSC and food lion within a couple miles, and was only 2 miles out of town. It was an old orchard years ago.

I just retired the end of last year, so that dampens my spending cash, but I have more time now to work there.
it is 4 hours away, but 1 1/2 hrs from Mother in Law. Part of the reason for the location was to be a little closer to her if we retire there, but not too close. Plus we like the general area.

My current house is too big, and not handicap accessible. of course our friends here want us to stay and not move away. If we stay here too much longer, I need to make this house more handicap accessible, like maybe converting the garage to a master bed and bath on first floor, and then build a detached pole barn garage.

building permits seems reasonable in this area, but did find out they kind of control things with zoning permits. They won't issue permit to build a barn or any accessory structure without you first applying for house building permit. Even though zoned agricultural, they won't allow barn to be place forward of the front of the house (even though it's done all up and down the road, probably before this became a rule). Everything requires zoning permit also, even to set a shed that doesn't need building permit (under 250 sf I think). So putting the house on the hill in the woods could impact future barn location.

Attachments

• 20220902_135624__WV_Romney_.JPG
    20220902_135624__WV_Romney_.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 62