Southern VA lot - What to do

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #41  
This morning our forecast was for rain Friday. Looked an hour ago and they've removed that chance. We are dry with decent temps, little on the cool side, for the next ten days. I was in shorts and a sweatshirt today. Should be able to get rid of the sweatshirt tomorrow afternoon.

My Brother is coming tomorrow with his camper. We'll spend the next 4 or 5 days working in the timber cleaning up dead trees.

Also renting a CTL and will put my tree puller on it and declare all out War on Honeysuckle bushes... Bastards.....

/ Southern VA lot - What to do
We got the lot mowed today. Left late, didn’t get there till 12:30, but almost 3 hrs on the BX got it done.
The best news is the neighbor that last year mowed 300 yds onto our land, is now mowing to the line. I drove rebar next to the corner pin on my side, and put pvc pipe over it so I can see it. View attachment 798010

This is bottom side of lot where we will probably build.
View attachment 798011
The mower blades were terribly dull, so not a great cut, but it’s cut. Taking the BX back to my house to do some maintenance on it.
We planted daffodils at the corners where the septic area is marked, in case the stakes get damaged again.

It’s raining there now, was overcast and breezy when we left, so did not fly the drone.

The pics
Corner by neighbor
IMG_8952.JPG

Other corner to neighbor
IMG_8971.JPG

House area
IMG_8949.JPG

Perc area
IMG_8958.JPG

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #44  
I'm just about 60 miles N of you. Got 120 acres, mostly forest, and a parcel shaped like a mallet or something - almost all the land in a square with a pigtail extending a mile through the woods from the highway for access. We built a weekend place on it first while I was still working, then built a retirement home a few hundred yards away. No other neighbors for a half mile or more. It's a good mix. I can use the cabin for rental (short term fully furnished) and make good money - and for family visits. Later, when too old for much, I can rent it to a young couple to help maintain the farm. It's a good way to use and enjoy the land.

I'm just about 60 miles N of you. Got 120 acres, mostly forest, and a parcel shaped like a mallet or something - almost all the land in a square with a pigtail extending a mile through the woods from the highway for access. We built a weekend place on it first while I was still working, then built a retirement home a few hundred yards away. No other neighbors for a half mile or more. It's a good mix. I can use the cabin for rental (short term fully furnished) and make good money - and for family visits. Later, when too old for much, I can rent it to a young couple to help maintain the farm. It's a good way to use and enjoy the land.

We wanted to be in that area but couldn’t find any land we liked, plus costs were higher. One just south of Staunton we considered, but thought it was too close to interstate. We had an offer on land near Raphine but pulled out because it was more than I wanted to spend, plus was pretty remote. Nice area.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #46  
Good thread. Did you get a chance to check out that ledge up the hill when you were there mowing?

Good thread. Did you get a chance to check out that ledge up the hill when you were there mowing?

No, we got started too late and we were rushed to just get the mowing done.
It was amazing how much more the leaves were out from 3 weeks ago. Wife was happy to see 1 wild dogwood tree, she was hoping for more.
I also took my metal detector to find the pin at the road, and I forgot to use it.

Did take a couple pics in the woods from the edge near the septic area. Fairly flat here before it rises up the hill. Very interesting terrain.
IMG_8948.JPG

Up near the neighboring house corner I saw some old rusty metal in the woods. Here is views from that corner, one down the line, other more to the right. Last year the neighbors had mowed to bottom of this hill.
IMG_8955.JPG

IMG_8956.JPG

Was looking at some modular cabins from zook. Still seem very expensive, especially when you look at what needs to be done outside of the modular cost. 22x30 2BR, 1B with small kitchen around $175k. I’ll have to figure what it would cost to frame this size.
I still would need
Driveway
Well
Septic
Foundation

I’m not big fan of building on a slab, but it would cut some costs. Even with slab, footers and frost walls still required so might as well put in basement.
IMG_9028.JPG

IMG_9029.JPG

Just something to consider.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #49  

I’m not big fan of building on a slab, but it would cut some costs. Even with slab, footers and frost walls still required so might as well put in basement
Exactly. Doubles the available floor space for minimal cost.

/ Southern VA lot - What to do #50  
Just ran across this thread, I’m also moving to the Roanoke area (Fincastle) on my 40 acres farm. I’m in the process of doing mowing and whipping the old cow pasture into shape.

Im also a custom home builder so if you need help with that let me know!