Relays and diodes

/ Relays and diodes #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
I've been studying the circuit diagrams and operation of various electrical functions in the service manual for the Kioti DK 35 45 50 tractor.

I see a number of relays (not all, but some, including the start relay) that have a diode placed in a loop around/between the terminals for power and ground on the coil circuit. Having dealt with this style relay for years, I don't understand the need for a diode in this application. Maybe someone can give me a "nutshell" explanation for why that might be needed?

I'm not looking for long winded breakdown on the theory of diodes/rectifiers, atoms and molecules, protons and neutrons or any of that. I know what a diode does. I just don't see why there would be one here.

/ Relays and diodes #2  
Can you post a circuit diagram?

/ Relays and diodes
Not really. I don't have anything I can post and am not computer literate enough to make one up.

/ Relays and diodes
From that I'm picturing something on the order of induced voltage as in an automotive ignition coil. Points open and close, circuit in primary coil winding generates voltage in secondary winding, that sort of thing. Maybe not precisely the same, but some of the principles overlap a bit.

/ Relays and diodes #8  
From that I'm picturing something on the order of induced voltage as in an automotive ignition coil. Points open and close, circuit in primary coil winding generates voltage in secondary winding, that sort of thing. Maybe not precisely the same, but some of the principles overlap a bit.
The voltage is induced the same way as an ignition coil. When power is removed from the relay coil the magnetic field collapses just like in an igniton coi.
Ericl

/ Relays and diodes
How about that? I've installed more of those relays than I can count, on all sorts of tractors, for all sorts of reasons. A good many with computers. No one has ever accused me of damaging their computer because of a diodeless relay. You learn something new every day, whether you want to or not.