Gas for chainsaw...

/ Gas for chainsaw... #11  
Went to that station tonight. The pumps with individual hoses are gone. Been replaced with one hose does all. I have no clue, maybe that's why they had them bagged at one time.

I was sitting there just thinking where have I seen a dedicated hose....I have NO recollection when suddenly, I noticed over to the side (where a diesel or kerosene pump might be standing on its own) was a pump....

Went to look.... it was 90 octane 100% gas, no ethanyl (if I read the sticker right)

So looks like I can still get what I need. I DID however, discover something that made me slap myself on the head with a "Doh" moment.....

The little Stihl oil bottles are for 2 1/2 gallons. I was watching the meter and it stopped it KEPT stopping.

Seems I have a 2-gallon can. Had it for probably 10 years and have always presumed it to be 2 1/2 gallons. So I've always been running at a richer than 50-1 mix (not that it would or has really hurt anything)

I DID notice one time, a bit more smoke in the exhaust but frankly, presumed it was because the saw is 20 years old. Might be a combination of a 20 year old saw needing some love and slapping a bit more oil in the mixture.

Either way, I'm ready to rock & roll again.
That's OK. Better to have a little extra oil, the not enough in the mix. I realized last week when I bought a new weed eater that I've been mixing the gas for my saw at 40/1 instead of 50/1. Weed eater takes 40/1.

I purchased a new bottle of 2 cycle oil. Which now I have a label I can read That's when I realized I had been mixing the gas for the saw with more oil then necessary

/ Gas for chainsaw... #12  
I have a old 044 as well. It’s my favorite saw currently that I own next to my little NOS $20 pioneer saw I got from a neighbor. I have always ran what ever premium is available or non eth if I can find it. I run amsoil interceptor and dominator. I have used this in various 2 stroke bikes, sleds , and saws for years now. Never a single issue. Try snowmobiling in Michigan’s UP, octane is my last worry up there. Water is a big problem. We always bring cases of heet.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #13  
I run farm boss 041 1968. Regular 87 with walmatr 2 stroke oil. No issues so far.
All my 2 stroke run on 40:1 mix

/ Gas for chainsaw... #14  
Doesn't 91 octane have more ethanol than 87 cause it's used as an octane booster? I use whatever non ethanol fuel is available for my infrequently used carbureted two strokes.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #15  
Doesn't 91 octane have more ethanol than 87 cause it's used as an octane booster? I use whatever non ethanol fuel is available for my infrequently used carbureted two strokes.
No, it is used to raise the octane in all grades. Ethanol content is federally capped at 10% for gasoline due to excess in emission profiles in unmodified engines, i.e. non-flex fuel vehicles. I believe that there may be a Federal waiver in place for a limited duration raising that limit to 15%.

All the best,

Peter

/ Gas for chainsaw... #16  
The non-ethanol here is usually 90 octane.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #17  
I think they use btex as an octane booster instead of ethanol? One of a few problems I've probably stated before is older ethanol blended fuel absorbs moisture. I also use rather expensive fuel test swabs to occasionally check what's in my gas tanks.
Anyways I've always had better luck with and solid reliability using non ethanol fuel in seasonal non fuel injected stuff. For me it's worth the extra cost.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #18  
I’m lucky there is a gas station about 15 to 20 minutes away that sells 91 octane ethanol free, a single hose. Someone posted a video a few weeks ago about the single hose thing and actually tested the fuel. Yes if you only do a gallon or two there is going the ethanol in it. I’m just to cheap to buy the premix.

/ Gas for chainsaw... #19  
No, it is used to raise the octane in all grades. Ethanol content is federally capped at 10% for gasoline due to excess in emission profiles in unmodified engines, i.e. non-flex fuel vehicles. I believe that there may be a Federal waiver in place for a limited duration raising that limit to 15%.

All the best,

Peter
Actually E15 will be the norm and it's death on a 2 stroke engine. Read your owners manual.

/ Gas for chainsaw...
I always thought ethanol was added to gas to help with pricing/shortages of oil and our (at one time?) immense ability to produce corn. Or perhaps to help subsidize the corn farmers?

I didn't know it was used or able to raise any octane levels??

Probably showing my ignorance in all of the above.