Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,302  
This caught my eye in a local parking lot. Odd sized receiver or small hitch?

Attachments

• hitch.JPG
    hitch.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 169
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,306  
Yep, something else to get rusted into the hitch...

Aaron Z
In some states it's illegal to leave it in. I wonder what people who live there find to bang into with their shins.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,307  
In some states it's illegal to leave it in. I wonder what people who live there find to bang into with their shins.
Which ones? I've heard a lot of claims, but I've never seen anyone be able to point to a law making it illegal to leave an insert installed in your hitch UNLESS it's obstructing the view of the rear license plate.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,308  
Which ones? I've heard a lot of claims, but I've never seen anyone be able to point to a law making it illegal to leave an insert installed in your hitch UNLESS it's obstructing the view of the rear license plate.

Aaron Z
Good question. It might be just one of those urban legends which keep getting passed down. Apparently there was a bill in Illinois in 2012 to outlaw it. The bill was tabled, but that might be how the rumor got started.

I promise to stop perpetrating that lie.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,309  
Is likely one of those things akin to fog/auxiliary lights. Strict NHTSA/DOT/CFR says anything beyond certified low beams qualifies as high beams. But the regs are worded so bad one must make a career of interpreting. Guaranteed employment for bureaucrat lawyers. Furthermore high beams are limited so the aux/fog lights are automatically turned off. So if strictly enforced the aux/fog lights are high beams and should be extinguished for oncoming traffic. There are a few states who say this explicitly in state code.

One thing indisputable: get rear ended with drawbar mounted in receiver one is liable for additional damage to the vehicle which rear ended you. Plus you get more of the impact transferred to the receiver mounts vs bumper.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,310  
One thing indisputable: get rear ended with drawbar mounted in receiver one is liable for additional damage to the vehicle which rear ended you.
Guess I was lucky. Guy in a Federal motor pool car followed me up a freeway on ramp and rammed the hitch on my Wagoneer. He said he had been looking over his shoulder for a gap to merge into. No damage to the jeep. I wonder what he said when he turned in his Plymouth.