SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #21  
To this day I clearly remember my Dad repeatedly lecturing me about the dangers of the sickle mower when folding the bar up for transport. I started running an 8N with a sickle mower when I was 8 years old. It was all I could do to fold the bar. So I tended to grab it wherever was most effective to lift. First thing I wanted to do was grab it by the guards.......

My Dad never screamed and yelled. And when teaching he always used visual examples. I clearly remember folding that bar and watching the sickle drop thru the guards. The modern belt driven mowers aren't nearly as apt to do that. Every pitman stick mower did exactly that. Fingers could easily be cut off.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL
So I am getting a flail but I have one question. Do I need a cab on the tractor for safety?

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #24  
Met too many old farmers that had less then the number of fingers they were born with, to ever advocate a sickle bar.

Scotch Broom was introduced to stabilize steep ground on highway constructions. That didn't work out so well either.
:)
Pretty easy to not lose a finger with a sickle bar if someone tells you how to raise/lower it.

I LOVE my NH 451 it is so much fun cutting grass with it I will never use a rotory mower after having learned about the amazingness of the sickle bar. I feel bad for all the people who have never gotten to enjoy one and think rotory mowers are the only way to go.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #25  
No, flail mowers are the safest from throwing debris. That is why they are used on highways.
Often on the roadway they operate a flail mower off the back and a sickle mower off to the side. Also, Sickle mowers are very safe they do not chuck anything. Just learn how to raise and lower the thing so you don't lose a finger :).

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #26  
Maschio, Del Moarino and one that starts with a P that escapes me. All Italian made.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #27  
Often on the roadway they operate a flail mower off the back and a sickle mower off to the side. Also, Sickle mowers are very safe they do not chuck anything. Just learn how to raise and lower the thing so you don't lose a finger :).
Everything in my area they switched to boom mounted flails for whatever reason.

But I remember as a kid they'd run that setup with a flail and a sickle for the ditch. Always worked well.

With that, because they switched to a boom mounted flail for their mowing, they had to get gigantic tractors, instead of normal sized (usually open cab) machines. (As a taxpayer, not happy when I see them highway crews sitting in this huge air conditioned machine.) I live in NY, so that answers that. ;)

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #28  
So I am getting a flail but I have one question. Do I need a cab on the tractor for safety?
Oh yes, most definitely....and one with air conditioning... ;) is what you should tell your wife.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #29  
Caroni is another flail made in Italy -

I have one (the 73"), it's better than the chinese stuff but if your tractor (and your wallet) can handle the extra weight and cost, I'd go with the Rears... Steve

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #30  
Everything in my area they switched to boom mounted flails for whatever reason.

But I remember as a kid they'd run that setup with a flail and a sickle for the ditch. Always worked well.

With that, because they switched to a boom mounted flail for their mowing, they had to get gigantic tractors, instead of normal sized (usually open cab) machines. (As a taxpayer, not happy when I see them highway crews sitting in this huge air conditioned machine.) I live in NY, so that answers that. ;)
yeah another reason I love my sickle. Run a 7' on my 32 hp LS like it is not even back there in high range 1st gear.