Bad common advice given to teens and young adults

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults
How about; You don't owe everyone the truth; just make sure you never lie to yourself; probably not gonna hear that at a graduation; but maybe you should.

When they say you have the right to remain silent; take it; you're not going to explain your way out, and you're probably giving them rope to hang you with

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #13  
Find something you love doing then find a job doing it and everything else will fall into place.

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #14  
You'll never get ahead working 40 hours a week for someone else.

Couple work related one

The boss works harder then you think/see

They aren't doing You a favor giving you a job; and you aren't doing Them a favor working there; you need money, they need workers; and you owe them nothing beyond that; and they owe you nothing more then your check

Nothing dumber then hearing guys say; if I leave, they are screwed, it won't work without me; dude, Everyone is replaceable. Equally bad is hearing employer say, Your lucky you have a job, we got a stack of applications 'this high'

Had to tell a supervisor (who is also a friend), who was hating work; crazy stress; family problems; "You knowwhat happens if you died tomorrow; they'd put your name on a brick in the sidewalk, have 60 second moment of silence; and post your job"

Last edited:
   / Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #16  
Couple work related one

The boss works harder then you think/see

They aren't doing You a favor giving you a job; and you aren't doing Them a favor working there; you need money, they need workers; and you owe them nothing beyond that; and they owe you nothing more then your check

Nothing dumber then hearing guys say; if I leave, they are screwed, it won't work without me; dude, Everyone is replaceable. Equally bad is hearing employer say, Your lucky you have a job, we got a stack of applications 'this high'
Don't bet on THAT. At the inception of computers I knew a man that set up a nationwide auto parts distributor allowing them to dramatically cut their workforce at multiple warehouses. System worked so well they thought they had no further use for him so fired him. Six months later the system crashed,distribution ceased and all the the kings horses nor all the kings men could put the system together again. He programed the system to do it unless he made a few keystrokes and at that time other programmers didn't know how to circumvent what he had programed. Most economical thing they could do was rehire the IT guru at 3x his previous salary and sign his v-e-r-y generous contract with perks and severance clause.

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #17  
How about; You don't owe everyone the truth; just make sure you never lie to yourself; probably not gonna hear that at a graduation; but maybe you should.
Todays keynote graduation speakers just preach their self aggrandizing message and say very little about the graduates.

Last edited:
   / Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #18  
I’m old enough to remember a time when it was all about being a United States with e pluribus unum… out of many, one.

The mindset seems to have shifted division… almost back to a tribal society…

I see it in my own and neighboring cities… the often impossibility of consensus has people and business giving up and voting with their feet.

The sad part is there was a genuine renaissance in cities across the country wiped out by the pandemic in many places…

I remember the abandoned and burned out buildings of the 60’s and 70’s but now it comes with people living in squalor on the streets and out of control crime with law enforcement often no where to found.

Maybe common advice is only good or bad dependent on the times?

Last edited:
   / Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #19  
So, I figured I'd post this because I Often hear, common, but bad advice given to teens and young adults; boys especially. Been involved with Boy Scouts from sons 2nd grade, till this Jan (9 year I think); same from teachers, and some of the well-meaning advice given...

Go to college to figure out what you want to do (Figure out what you want to do, and if you need to go to college, go, if not, dont)

Don't get married or have kids till you're 30 (I was about normal age, 22 or 23, and wife was 19 when we had son; and wife said whatever kids she had by 30 was it; see 50 y/os with young kids; man, not me...)

Get a credit card and keep a medium balance to start building credit (not entirely 100% bad; but I think this thinking often escalates and turns bad)

School is always the most important thing (whatever you do, do your best; but I've never thought back, if only I tried harder in HS english...)

Everyone tries drugs, just stay away from strong stuff (seen a lot of people F' up their lives; not saying you're doomed if you do, but don't think it should be encouraged/normalized)

Follow your dreams no matter what (earn a living, get dang good at it, and also do what you enjoy, But not everything will make a living, that's a hobby, and thats fine too; and some times, just just have to do what has to be done, even when you don't want too)

Try to make the world a better place and or give back to the community/country (get a job, pay your taxes, don't smoke meth, that will improve your community, you dont need to go on a crusade to save the homeless or environment or whatever)

Get a steady office job 9-5 and a house in a subdivision (first, 9-5 is a 7 to 7.5 hr paycheck; and I think about 70% of those people hate their life; steady is OK, but it can be a trap

Very good treads I mostly agree with everything above and I understand what you are saying in the ones I have Highlighted in bold but I don't totally agree with...

- fist credits card one I guess it depend on the age and whether or not this person has a job or not, but I agree it is not the only way and there might be better ways like myself I was always encourage to get loans for things I wanted early in life even if I had the money to buy it cash, so I did and I had a impressive (apparently) credit score for my age.

-drugs, I believe the idea behind this one is, if you tell a kid to not do something they will do it the fist chance they get while you are not around, my dad advise to me was, you can experience drugs all you want but wait until you are done school ... that worked for me... and I believe this to be a better advise then the one you pointed out.

- make the world a better place... I agree with what you have in bracket, I think its just a way to go at it, to me this means be involve in the community by being volunteering your time for what ever cause or organization, I think that a great way to have a meaning, meet people and develop character.

/ Bad common advice given to teens and young adults #20  
1. Pay yourself first...live below your means and save 10% of every paycheck towards future purchases.
2. Never finance anything that depreciates.
3. Find a partner that agrees with 1&2
4. Pick a career that you enjoy... you'll spend 1/4 of your time on earth doing it.