Weak pinion gear and shaft

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #1  

whitravis

Tractor
3215 Mahendra
Mahindra 4x4s, at least the 3215 are famous for destroying the front pinion gear and shaft. Is there an aftermarket source for higher quality for this part? Or a place that could heat treat an OEM one to make it harder?. I've got to replace mine and don't want to have to do it again a few hundred hours down the road.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #2  
Wondering how your using your tractor as I’ve got a 2006 2815 with 700 hours on it, not had any issues with mind. How many hours on yours? Are you running in 4WD most of the time on hard surface? I only use it when needing the extra traction and switch it back off. Also I run the Chevron 1000 fluid in transmission and front axle.
Where are you located?
Also not heard about a problem with the front axle on this model except yours as they were made by Mitsubishi for Mahindra.
How many hours are on the oil in the axle? Had it been changed before failure?

Last edited:
   / Weak pinion gear and shaft #3  
Had to replace mine as well. Took months for the part to arrive.

Just have to learn to be careful with it. It's a front wheel assist system, not a primary drive. I was abusing mine since I was used to operating a skid steer.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #4  
Any brand of tractor is not meant to run in front wheel assist all the time. Only to be used when added traction is required and only then.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #5  
Wondering how your using your tractor as I’ve got a 2006 2815 with 700 hours on it, not had any issues with mind. How many hours on yours? Are you running in 4WD most of the time on hard surface? I only use it when needing the extra traction and switch it back off. Also I run the Chevron 1000 fluid in transmission and front axle.
Where are you located?
Also not heard about a problem with the front axle on this model except yours as they were made by Mitsubishi for Mahindra.
How many hours are on the oil in the axle? Had it been changed before failure?
When one loads the fel and has insufficient rear ballast, one tends to kick in the 4wd.
This puts a lot of strain on those smaller front ring and pinions within the 4wd system.
4wd is meant for tractive purposes primarily and not as an assist when the rears are light footed because of additional frontal load weight.
If you rear ballast your tractor properly for heavy fel loads, you'll get additional usage out of the 4wd.

I know it to be sacrosanct but heavy front loading and front wheel drive on a tractor is not really a good mix. Proper rear ballast is a much better solution.
Hardened gearing in this situation can relate to brittleness to the extent of snapping off teeth as opposed to increased wear with improper usage.

Last edited:
   / Weak pinion gear and shaft #6  
Also make sure to check the front tires air pressure.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #7  
I know it to be sacrosanct but heavy front loading and front wheel drive on a tractor is not really a good mix.
Wow! I had to look that one up. (y)

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #8  
Mahindra 4x4s, at least the 3215 are famous for destroying the front pinion gear and shaft. Is there an aftermarket source for higher quality for this part? Or a place that could heat treat an OEM one to make it harder?. I've got to replace mine and don't want to have to do it again a few hundred hours down the road.
I'm thinking the only real fix would be a heavier duty axle from a different manufacturer. It would be cheaper to repair it and do a tractor swap instead of doing an axle swap.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #9  
I'm thinking the only real fix would be a heavier duty axle from a different manufacturer. It would be cheaper to repair it and do a tractor swap instead of doing an axle swap.
Allow me an opportunity to alter your thought process a little bit.
Unless one is picking up a ton or more w their fel, on a regular basis, no need to buy another tractor.
Just increase one’s ballast and not by a little bit.
Even on the ops midsize cut, the axle is designed for well over a ton capacity.
It’s more about not engaging 4wd while doing heavy front end loads.

/ Weak pinion gear and shaft #10  
Allow me an opportunity to alter your thought process a little bit.
Unless one is picking up a ton or more w their fel, on a regular basis, no need to buy another tractor.
Just increase one’s ballast and not by a little bit.
Even on the ops midsize cut, the axle is designed for well over a ton capacity.
It’s more about not engaging 4wd while doing heavy front end loads.
Either a person that is breaking their tractor will change the equipment or change the way they use it. Most times it is easier to change the former.