Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #31  
I take my infrared thermometer and check the hubs.
That's the word I was looking for! I've often wondered how they would work as a tire thermometer, to find hot spots so you will know to do an alignment BEFORE trashing a tire.

I haven't carried a plug kit in years... since I started running 10 ply tires. There was a time when I was running cheap tires they had so many plugs they looked like porcupines. It wasn't uncommon to hear the leak, get out and pop a plug in, then head off down the road with only a couple of pounds missing from the tire.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #32  
Dad always carried this in his car, and now it lives under the back seat of my truck:

lugwrench.jpg

There's a few different lug nut sizes, between my three on-road trailers and my truck, so this way I don't need to sweat having the right wrench with me for each trailer. The cheap jack that came with your truck can work on the trailer, but your hosed without a lug wrench.

Every trailer I own has a spare tire mounted on the trailer, I find it hard to understand why anyone would own a trailer and not keep a spare on it. Two of my trailers are stored indoors, and the third (largest) is stored in a shady grove of trees, as sun eats trailers and tires.

I put my log splitter on my landscape trailer if I need to tow it, much easier and safer. But if I were towing my log splitter on the road and it got a flat, I'd just keep going on the bare rim. They're light enough that I'm not even sure I need the rim, other than keeping the hydraulic oil filter from dragging on the pavement. :p

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
I was gassing up in Newport a few years ago when somebody from NH pulled in pulling a big camper trailer.
I am in newport usually once a week and I see a ton of that around the irving station or on rt 2 going towards the christies campground by anglers restaurant.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #35  
This may be part of a bigger trend. Our vehicles have become 'easier' to operate and more difficult to maintain. People are (on average) less willing and/or less capable of inspection, much less maintenance. They drive their vehicles with trailers under load exactly as they would a small coupe in traffic.

Speed adds to the problems with trailers and tires. I just got home from a 12-13 hour drive (each way) up to see my family. I drive fast. Usually speed limit + 9 when I have no trailer or load (like this trip). I was passed on many occasions by F250 and similar trucks pulling various trailers (livestock, utility and travel/rv). Those little wheels rotating very fast create excess heat and are an accident waiting to happen. (Even scarier when it is a uhaul).

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #36  
My Welder/Tractor Mechanic told me about this, so I bought one too. Should fit almost everything.

My Chevy 1500 4x4, utility trailer tires and trailer spare mount are all different.

Attachments

• 20230712_040540.jpg
    20230712_040540.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69
   / Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #37  
My Welder/Tractor Mechanic told me about this, so I bought one too. Should fit almost everything.

My Chevy 1500 4x4, utility trailer tires and trailer spare mount are all different.

Just ordered a set, 10% off prime.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #40  
I'm not here to say Ford is better than another brand, and others may have this feature? But I love how I can program different trailers into the dash display of my truck and it tracks mileage on that trailer every time it is connected.
I find that really handy when it comes to tracking mileage between hub greasings.

As far as spares I have to run a lot of bush road every week so I have my factory spare under the truck and I always have two in the box, with a 20 ton bottle jack, a big breaker bar and a torque wrench in the truck. I hate those jacks and lug wrenches that come from factory with the vehicle.