Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
tracking stuff is much more important than most realize. most of us here are not commercial users so that factor slips by. but no matter what TOW vehicle you use....trailer don't care. keep track of your MTX crap.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #43  
I had a spare on my old 14k trailer. Now I have a 7k without a spare. I never used the spare on the old one, and it sat in the sun along with the other 4 tires slowly deteriorating. New one is inside so far, and I’m thinking I haul rarely enough I am going to hold off. We’ll see.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #44  
went to store few minutes ago. on way back following 1/2 ton gmc truck with (16 foot single bay) horse trailer w/o tow mirrors (huge mistake..bigger error about to be shown) and I see his right rear (dual axle) tire was almost flat.
I start flashing lights hitting horn arm out window. he didn't see me. remember what I said about tow mirrors? 1/2 mile later tire blows, he aint got a spare, and its on a sunday.
and there was large bull inside trailer.
not a damned thing I could do.
Thanks for the reminder. I used my last spare trailer tire last year and forgot to get a new one installed on my spare rim (15" 6 lug).

I've always kept basic tools in all of my vehicles. At least enough to change a tire. My truck is an old F350 crew cab. I keep an electric impact in it and a 20T bottle jack. I keep a floor jack in my wife's car because it will be easier and safer for her to use if she's by herself. I need to get her a 12v electric impact. Many times I've been on the side of the road and needed to use my tools. A few times I've been able to help someone else. Last time it was because the 4 way he had didn't actually fit the lug nuts on his car. The impact came in handy :)

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it.
I had a spare on my old 14k trailer. Now I have a 7k without a spare. I never used the spare on the old one, and it sat in the sun along with the other 4 tires slowly deteriorating. New one is inside so far, and I’m thinking I haul rarely enough I am going to hold off. We’ll see.
I blew a tire with 16K lbs inside a dual ram 7x14 Cam dump trailer. very glad I insisted company I worked for provided a spare and used my bottle jack and tools to change. on the side if I-95 in Bangor Maine. glad it was passenger side that blew.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #46  
What a fine collection of tips, tricks and safety advice in this thread. Thank you, OP. Should be required reading for anyone towing or planning to. Many do it too casually not realizing that the trailer and load can be deadly to the owner as well as anyone nearby.
I always carried working spare in my trailer. Since we were hauling racing stuff, I never lacked tools either. One tip I could offer is to consider using a quality TIRE SEALANT in all the trailer tires. It’s a belt and suspenders mindset.
I use ULTRASEAL which is available directly or go to Gempler’s and buy it there. They have 3 types, two for highway tires and one super-duty sealant for off road tractors and machines. Just add the recommended volumes according to tire size charts and instant improvement in peace of mind when on the road. The sealant also reduces tire carcass deterioration due to age. Ultraseal carries tire valve adapters and hand pumps to make this an easy-peasy task, too.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #47  
I have a full sized spare and all the necessary tools on the Taco wagon ( Ram 2500 Power Wagon ). Be sure you realize how really HEAVY a spare tire can be. I had to drop the spare to do some underbody cleaning. I'm glad I didn't get bigger tires. And remember - where you will be changing that tire - probably not as nice as the soft, green grass in your yard - cars could be whizzing past - it's likely not very level also.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #48  
Heck, I also carry some 2x12 dunnage blocks, a hydraulic jack, a small ledge, pry bar, wire, tool box, wire ties, spray lube, tow straps, rags and more in my truck and on any trailer I ever owned or bought the first thing I did was buy a spare tire and mount it on the trailer. Always be ready for a roadside emergency. Why? Because I’m 58 years old and have experienced them, mostly flat tires on the side of the road. I don’t know how many young fellas read this page but they should be listening.

/ Always carry a valid spare tire and tools to change it. #50