USA made bearings?

/ USA made bearings? #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Going to do some trailer maintenance on my Dad's tandem axle trailer. Wondering if USA made bearings still exist?

/ USA made bearings? #4  
Good luck. Just about everything on new machinery is “Peerless”
Made in China.

Lovin me the new progressive USA!

/ USA made bearings? #6  
I've had good luck over the years with Browning bearings.

/ USA made bearings? #7  
Not American, But I used to use NTN in all my old racing bikes. They are from Japan. Always seemed to outlast the factory bearings.

Or if you need another option Will I can forward you one of the many emails I keep getting from Ching Chong Chang Li from the Bearing Factory.
LOL

/ USA made bearings? #8  
MANY years ago I bought two new 6k axles to build a equipment trailer. When I got them, I was putting the bearing in the hubs when I noticed they were made in china and I was waaaay less than happy about that!

I got on the phone to the place that sold me the axles and had words with them and they insisted that they just didn't have failures with those bearings! I already had one of the axles together when I noticed it, so I just packed the rest of the bearings and finished the job.

Anyway, later I was going to make a 10,000 mile haul, so I went down and bought Timkins and put them with the tools/spares to take along, and that was many MANY thousands of miles ago, and the china bearing are still in those axles!!

I'm still NOT happy they are china bearings, and the Timkins are still my backup, but I have to admit they have held up just fine.

BTW, here's that trailer today,

Resized-20230307-155219-1-1.jpg

SR

Last edited:
   / USA made bearings? #10  
Going to do some trailer maintenance on my Dad's tandem axle trailer. Wondering if USA made bearings still exist?

Maybe they do, but chances are you are about 100 years out of date if you are looking for USA-made bearings.

"Made in the USA" can mean any part of a product. It might simply be the box it comes in.
Notice that the "Made in USA" tends to be printed on the box, not on the bearing.

Timken advertise as "made in USA" even thought they are also made in China, Romania, Indonesia, India, and Mexico. And in a couple dozen other companies. Regardless, they seem to be fine bearings.

Bearings are made everywhere and in every country. Stick with a known brand name if you want some sort of connection to quality. But be prepared to pay. The known name bearings are noticibly more expensive.

SKF are still top quality Swedish bearings - but they were one of the first to move a lot of their production to China - over 100 years ago. They also manufacture in Mexico and all over Europe....as well as in over 100 countries. I've never heard any knocks on their quality.

Same is true of FAG bearings from Germany.

NSK and NTN bearings used to be totally Japanese made. That's as good a statement of good quality as you are likely to find. No idea if it is still true. But their bearings are among the best.

When I was designing some heavy transmissions many, many years ago, the best big bearings that were affordable for manufacture were Czech made. A few years later - working in the hard drive industry - where bearing quality is one of the most important factors in the whole device - everyone in the industry was fightng to get the best bearings from Indochina area countries.

Read this. It seems well researched

rScotty