Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #1  

ssgp2

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 990, Case IH Farmall 40
Reading other posts about brush mowing with FEL vs. without FEL, got me to thinking of all the stuff that can ruin your day and brush mower. Like several others I do side jobs and usually mow the same places, but still find surprises. Some of the things the FEL has saved my mower from are: transmissions, bowling ball, grocery shopping carts, dead horses/cows/goats/sheep, all sizes of tires/wheels, T posts (lots of T posts) rebar sticking up, gas line meters, trailers, drill pipe, pallets, suit cases, 55 gallon drums, sewer line manholes (usually 12" to 20" tall). Other than the regular and typical tree stump, rock piles and concrete, what has your mower of FEL found?

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #3  
FEL with bucket or bale spear attached, about 8” off ground angled upward acts as an early warning system for most objects in fields.

Been rolling that way successfully for 25 years.

Almost speared me a buck.
Not my idea of “deer hunting”

1689882786340.jpeg

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation
Gate made from barbed wire. That wire wrapped up into the brush hog was a mess to get out.
The worst I got into was a 20' stick of 3/8" rebar. Wrapped around the stump jumper. Had my daughter bring me a cuttin torch to the job site. Just didn't have the FEL down low enough.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #7  
bottles drive me nuts. Nothing like flying glass.
Deer parts can be pretty nasty.
Old parts from chainsaws and mowers it seems work crews leave behind.
seats from old stands/hides.

None of which seem to be high enough to hit the fel first.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #8  
Turkey carcasses by the highway make a nice noise right before they let the sink out. Usually all I find is feathers and a foot.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #9  
A ratchet strap will make a bit of noise if it hangs onto the blade.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #10  
A pile of nylon twine from square bales. Wrapped around my flail mower with a vengeance. sat there with my pocket knife for 45 minutes cutting 6-12 inch pieces off. :cautious: