Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #21  
My 80 acres was part of an original homestead. Granted by the government in 1892. The old homesteader REALLY like his barbed wire. I found miles of it when we first moved on the property and tilled the garden patch.

It was the heavy, old style with flat barbs. Wrapped up in the tiller very well.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation
Over the years I’ve found car batteries, tires, an automatic transmission, a manual transmission, car doors from an oldsmobile, brake drums, antique cow stanchions, a pile of asbestos siding shingles, barbed wire, cinder blocks, a pile of old red clay drain tiles, fence wire, a 14’ green colored wooden boat, jimmy hoffa, a model T frame with the crossbuck springs and axles sunk in the dirt, a coal pile and a few other things.
JH:ROFLMAO:

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #23  
So that's where Jimmy went to!

In MA there was so much barbed wire, I think every filed had been surrounded by it at one time, then the CCC planted trees to reforest the area, but the wire was still there.
You could just be walking along and the trip, and hopefully not get punctured as it sat on under the leaves and pine needles, but still up a bit off the ground.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #24  
The orchard I pruned for had been fenced in sometime around WWI; two tiers of sheep fence, topped with barbed wire. Over time the fences rotted away but there are places where there is barbed wire strung between two trees, forming a garrot about 6 feet off the ground. I realize that it serves a purpose but I hate barbed wire. It keeps on working long after it's use is gone,

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #25  
The orchard I pruned for had been fenced in sometime around WWI; two tiers of sheep fence, topped with barbed wire. Over time the fences rotted away but there are places where there is barbed wire strung between two trees, forming a garrot about 6 feet off the ground. I realize that it serves a purpose but I hate barbed wire. It keeps on working long after it's use is gone,
Never ran into any but barbed wire has to be one of the worst I would imagine. As tight as it would get wrapped it must be a nightmare cutting it all off.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #26  
Never ran into any but barbed wire has to be one of the worst I would imagine. As tight as it would get wrapped it must be a nightmare cutting it all off.
The county used to cut the veg along the dirt roadside embankments. Same place where folks once ran their fences. More than once I stopped to see if they needed help when they wrapped barbed wire around the flail. A real mess.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #27  
The county used to cut the veg along the dirt roadside embankments. Same place where folks once ran their fences. More than once I stopped to see if they needed help when they wrapped barbed wire around the flail. A real mess.
I wrapped chicken wire around the drive shaft of my pickup once; that was bad enough. My neighbor once took the rear pinion out of her car when it sucked fine string in through the seal. They were up in the blueberry field in back of me, and the owner used string to depict the rows for the rakers. Every raker has an area so that they don't jump around looking for the best picking.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #28  
I wrapped chicken wire around the drive shaft of my pickup once; that was bad enough. My neighbor once took the rear pinion out of her car when it sucked fine string in through the seal. They were up in the blueberry field in back of me, and the owner used string to depict the rows for the rakers. Every raker has an area so that they don't jump around looking for the best picking.
Yeah --- baling twine is a regular around here. You usually find it with your yard mower. Or better yet, the string trimmer.

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #29  
I heard it said if you find a car while mowing your yard, you might be a redneck
Or... bought a house in which the original owner buried a 1950's (?) Plymouth in a low spot then covered it with road berm dirt !

/ Stuff you find while mowing tall vegetation #30  
How about a homeless woman sleeping in the tall grass…..

California homeless woman killed in gruesome lawnmower mishap, family demands answers

The basic questions I have are:
  • Was she already dead?
  • Was she on drugs and oblivious to the world around her?
  • When the mower came by on the previous pass, why didn't she get up, move out of the way, or get the mower's attention?