The challenge of Kudzu

/ The challenge of Kudzu #51  
When anyone mentions kudzu, I remember this effort to convert it to ethanol. Powered By Kudzu
But that would make too much sense.

/ The challenge of Kudzu
That is the first time I have ever read of anyone turning kudzu into moonshine. Of course, they would be in the mountains of East Tennessee.

/ The challenge of Kudzu #53  
Most folks in east Kentucky and east Tennessee will drink anything... and have. :D

/ The challenge of Kudzu #54  
Michigan has tightened up on the use of ag grade herbicides and pesticides, you have to have an applicators license (which I have). I tend to use Glyphosate or 24D (B) on my hay fields and Roundup Ultra Max for general invasive weed control and both require an applicators license here now. The stuff you can buy in box stores is really marginal at best. Nice thing about 24D (B) which is buffered 24D is it's a selective killer and won't harm (to a great extent) alfalfa, whether Vernal or Hybrid (roundup tolerant). I prefer Vernal myself because the hybrid alfalfa is hard to control and because it's a tuber root and spreads via underground roots, it always want to grow outside a hayfield, whereas Verrnal can be controlled via application of a systemic herbicide.

Do I think requiring an applicators license is a good thing? I don't. One it costs money which the state gets and wastes and two, if people bothered to read the instructions and MSDS labelling that is on every container (by Federal Law),that is enough.

Problem is today, no one bothers to read anything and that includes tractor owners manuals. In fact a huge amount of posts on here where owners ask dumb questions can be answered by just reading the owners manual and following it. Like my wife says, 'it's a concept thing'

/ The challenge of Kudzu #55  
That is the first time I have ever read of anyone turning kudzu into moonshine. Of course, they would be in the mountains of East Tennessee.
They convert anything that can be distilled into alcohol.

/ The challenge of Kudzu #57  
Neither my wife nor I consume alcohol so we have no need but.. You very well can convert any green plant into alcohol but is it worthwhile to do? Probably not. One of the old timers down the road makes what he calls 'corn crib hooch' It's clear and smells good and I've never sampled it but I bet it's a killer (literally). He's always flying pretty high. Out here there are only 3 things to do, Farm, fight and get loaded with the last one the most popular.

/ The challenge of Kudzu
I don't know what the harvesting procedure would be to convert it into something useful, but I'd rather eradicate the kudzu. People have been trying to make something useful out of it for decades, and it hasn't happened yet that I can determine.

Another problem is it once it gets established on an inaccessible steep bank or in the woods, it's that much harder to eradicate.

/ The challenge of Kudzu
With the increasing cost of herbicides and needing to spray kudzu in some places where it is safer to reach it on foot, I put this electric sprayer together last year. I waited to post anything until I felt like it was actually useful.

The pump is just a $20 pump from Amazon powered by a 20v power tool battery that is stepped down to 12v by a converter, also from Amazon. The spray wand and hoses were taken from pump tank sprayers I already had.

The issue I was having with pump tank sprayers was they didn't quite put out the volume I wanted and required frequent pumping by hand. The electric sprayer does a better job in both respects. The sprayer is also good for spot spraying from the tractor seat and can be carried on foot to spots that I can't reach with the tractor. When full, it's a bit heavy to carry. So filling to 1/2 capacity might be a good plan when most of the spraying will be done on foot.

sprayer.jpg

/ The challenge of Kudzu #60  
I have about a 1/2 acre of Kudzu on a very steep open slope at my property. Where it squeezes out of this slope onto usable land I spray it with generic glyphosphate. It seems to knock it back for a couple of years. One of these days I will tackle the entire area. I would love to fence the entire thing in and run goats on it, I honestly think that might be the only way to do it.