Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,431  
Vermont, for one. New Hampshire as well. Ohio for another (I used to live there). There are a number of other states, but I did not bother to memorize them since they don't directly affect me. It's a rule that is often ignored, and many are not even aware that it is a rule in their state.
What about that infamous Rick, can you sell Rick there ?? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Sorry, I couldnt resist!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,432  
How are they selling it - by the cord from pre stacked piles on the ground and that is just their loading method or by the truck load w/o a size stated ????

gg
Apparently, they are selling just as they say, "Loose fill only to the top of the bedrail". They obviously know that loose fill amounts to much less wood than tight stacked and THEY load the truck. The "bedrail" is stipulated not to exceed 22.5". Their add had prices by bed length as follows:

PRICING:
6ft bed or less......Loose fill to top of bedrail..$160.
6.5ft bed..............Loose fill to top of bedrail..$180.
7-7.5 bed.............Loose fill to top of bedrail..$200.
8ft bed................Loose fill to top of bedrail..$220.
Truck Canopy?: Add $20 (more difficult to load)

By my math I figure they are getting $550 to $600 for 4x4x8' cord with no delivery. There is a reputable guy here selling "true" cord wood at $375 delivered.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,433  
Loose fill to the top of the rail of my Tacoma (which I think is a 6 ft bed??) amounts to about 1/4 cord. If I mound it up, I might get to 1/3 cord. If I could get what amounts to $640 per cord (4x$160), I might decide to actually sell firewood. (As it is, I only sell the occasional cord or two when a friend is in a jam, and even then, I'll sell 12' logs and let them cut it, unless they are just not capable of doing so.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,434  
Apparently, they are selling just as they say, "Loose fill only to the top of the bedrail". They obviously know that loose fill amounts to much less wood than tight stacked and THEY load the truck. The "bedrail" is stipulated not to exceed 22.5". Their add had prices by bed length as follows:

PRICING:
6ft bed or less......Loose fill to top of bedrail..$160.
6.5ft bed..............Loose fill to top of bedrail..$180.
7-7.5 bed.............Loose fill to top of bedrail..$200.
8ft bed................Loose fill to top of bedrail..$220.
Truck Canopy?: Add $20 (more difficult to load)

By my math I figure they are getting $550 to $600 for 4x4x8' cord with no delivery. There is a reputable guy here selling "true" cord wood at $375 delivered.

I guess if you are absolutely desperate for wood or don't care about money that would be OK. Yikes !!

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,435  
Many firewood sellers here also sell wood "by the truckload". Sure is a way to charge higher prices for smaller volumes of wood. It's almost always loose piled, and in a shortbed truck.

No thanks, I'll pass. The guy I've bought from at least hand stacks it in IBC totes, so you can "judge" how much volume you're getting. Going to have to get back on finding and splitting my own though, as he just raised his prices this year enough to make me think it's no longer a good deal. At least he would deliver totes free to the house anyway. I've got 4 totes of dry ash at the house now, which is plenty for this winter (for us), but going to have to get serious about it next spring I think.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,436  
Hemlock pulping

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0459.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,437  
Vermont, for one. New Hampshire as well. Ohio for another (I used to live there). There are a number of other states, but I did not bother to memorize them since they don't directly affect me. It's a rule that is often ignored, and many are not even aware that it is a rule in their state.
Maine law;

Measuring firewood: Under Maine law, firewood must be sold in one of three allowable units: standard cord, cubic foot, or loose thrown cord.

Thrown cord is described thus;

A cord of loose, unstacked wood occupies 180 cubic feet if the wood averages 12 or 16 inches in length; 195 cubic feet if the wood averages 24 inches in length.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,438  
Maine law;

Measuring firewood: Under Maine law, firewood must be sold in one of three allowable units: standard cord, cubic foot, or loose thrown cord.

Thrown cord is described thus;

A cord of loose, unstacked wood occupies 180 cubic feet if the wood averages 12 or 16 inches in length; 195 cubic feet if the wood averages 24 inches in length.
And the stacked cord is 128 ft.³ interesting

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,439  
And the stacked cord is 128 ft.³ interesting
Ultimately a cord of hardwood should contain 85 cubic feet of solid wood whereas that number of a cord of softwood is 96. This is all based on measurements taken years ago, when pulpwood was sold by the cord in 4 foot sticks.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,440  
Ultimately a cord of hardwood should contain 85 cubic feet of solid wood whereas that number of a cord of softwood is 96. This is all based on measurements taken years ago, when pulpwood was sold by the cord in 4 foot sticks.
Curious where you come up with that number, 85 cubic feet for a cord of wood as far as I can ever tell it was 8‘ x 4‘ x 4‘ which is 128 ft.³