Help w compressor selection.

/ Help w compressor selection. #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
So the new place needs a little bit of air.
I don't paint with it so I'm not thinking I need a 60 gallon.
30 gal would seem plenty.
I like Quincy stuff but over the last few years, their offerings of 30 gal compressors have been eliminated.
The largest garage type they make went from 27 gal to 24 gal. I called them and was told their compressors would outwork a 30 gal because their motors stuff more air in a smaller place(can that be true?)
At any rate, Northern products has a 30 gal and it is rated at 5.3 recovery at 90 and 6.2 @40psi.
The Quincy at 24 gal, is rated at 7.4 @ 100 and 8.3 cfm at 40.
The Northern Products has a 1.6 hp motor while the Quincy claims 2 hp.
They are priced about the same at a bit over $800. I use the compressor for impact, die grinding, scaling and chiseling.
So for the more knowledgeable out there , which one? The 30 gal Northern or the 24 gal Quincy?

/ Help w compressor selection. #2  
So the new place needs a little bit of air.
I don't paint with it so I'm not thinking I need a 60 gallon.
30 gal would seem plenty.
I like Quincy stuff but over the last few years, their offerings of 30 gal compressors have been eliminated.
The largest garage type they make went from 27 gal to 24 gal. I called them and was told their compressors would outwork a 30 gal because their motors stuff more air in a smaller place(can that be true?)
At any rate, Northern products has a 30 gal and it is rated at 5.3 recovery at 90 and 6.2 @40psi.
The Quincy at 24 gal, is rated at 7.4 @ 100 and 8.3 cfm at 40.
The Northern Products has a 1.6 hp motor while the Quincy claims 2 hp.
They are priced about the same at a bit over $800. I use the compressor for impact, die grinding, scaling and chiseling.
So for the more knowledgeable out there , which one? The 30 gal Northern or the 24 gal Quincy?

I was going to buy the well regarded QT 54 but they dropped the Baldor motors and now just say made in china. Then they jacked the price up another 200 bucks. That caused me to buy a different compressor.
Some Ads still show the Baldor motors.
Not sure on the smaller Quincy's but I would at least ask which motor you get.

Still a fan of their actual compressors

Have little doubt that the Quincy pump will outlast the Industrial air pump on my 80 gallon 2 stage
Not so confident on the motor.

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_225829299.jpg
    PXL_20230905_225829299.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / Help w compressor selection. #4  
Like @sd455dan, I'm a fan of the older Quincy compressors, and a fan of the super efficient and reliable Baltor motors. As @ericm979 points, out CFS is CFM, and I would buy a low end Quincy over a NorthernTool any day, even if they had matching performance.

Quincy compressors can come set with higher tank pressures, so yes, more air in the same volume, but since almost all (home) uses need to lower the pressure to use in lines and tools, (OSHA, pipe and airline safety, and all that) so it is really only a win for a large shop with multiple users. For home uses, it just takes more energy. I would turn down the pressure switch to something like 90psi. As long as an impact wrench gets 90psi, or so, it is a happy camper. Grinders are air hogs, so make sure that your grinder isn't too far ahead of the compressor in terms of CFM.

I bought an Ingersoll compressor (SLS-3?) that I have been happy with for periodic heavy use for fifteen years, die grinding, tires, and impact wrenches for the most part. (Try airing up a semi tire with a Sears mini compressor...) I did add an intercooler to get more water out of the air before the air went into the main tank that really helped keep condensate out of my air lines.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Help w compressor selection.
7.4 cfm @100 psi beats 5.3 @90 any day. It won't matter for the impact wrenches but might for the die grinder. The tank size is just the buffer before the pump starts.
Ok, thank you Eric and PT
I have to check to see if the motor on the Quincy is a constant run type as opposed to a percentage run time.

/ Help w compressor selection. #6  
Don’t worry too much about tank size. Continuous CFM and pressure are the critical factors. See what your tool requirements are and buy accordingly.

Less flow and pressure may work but the wrenches and grinders will not preform properly.

Like @sd455dan, I'm a fan of the older Quincy compressors, and a fan of the super efficient and reliable Baltor motors. As @ericm979 points, out CFS is CFM, and I would buy a low end Quincy over a NorthernTool any day, even if they had matching performance.

Quincy compressors can come set with higher tank pressures, so yes, more air in the same volume, but since almost all (home) uses need to lower the pressure to use in lines and tools, (OSHA, pipe and airline safety, and all that) so it is really only a win for a large shop with multiple users. For home uses, it just takes more energy. I would turn down the pressure switch to something like 90psi. As long as an impact wrench gets 90psi, or so, it is a happy camper. Grinders are air hogs, so make sure that your grinder isn't too far ahead of the compressor in terms of CFM.

I bought an Ingersoll compressor (SLS-3?) that I have been happy with for periodic heavy use for fifteen years, die grinding, tires, and impact wrenches for the most part. (Try airing up a semi tire with a Sears mini compressor...) I did add an intercooler to get more water out of the air before the air went into the main tank that really helped keep condensate out of my air lines.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter
I checked on this model. Northern no longer carries it but it can be purchased direct from IR for about $150 bucks more than the Quincy ($1019).
I have to see if the new place has a 220 outlet in the garage.

Ok, thank you Eric and PT
I have to check to see if the motor on the Quincy is a constant run type as opposed to a percentage run time.
Nope
The Quincy 24 gal has a 50% duty rating.
The IR is looking better and better.

/ Help w compressor selection. #9  
Myself, I have a Saylor Beal vertical 2 stage twin on an 80 gallon receiver with a 7.5 horse cap start, cap run 240 American made motor that has been running for 35 years, no issue. I would never buy anything from Northern tool except a Quincy or an IR all the rest are Chinese. I also have a Sullaire screw compressor because I use a huge amount of compressed air when running my CNC plasma table but the screw compressor only runs when I use the table. All my shop air lines are in steel pipe with drops (and condensate drains on each) place around the shop in convenient spots. However, I keep the screw compressor's receiver pressurized whether it's running or not because the more receiver capacity you have, the less a compressor has to run to maintain air pressure.

I have my entire system set for 135 psi which is all you really need for air powered tools and the lower the static pressure you run, the less condensate is produced plus I have automatic condensate drains on the compressors as well and all my air tools as well as all my air outlets are high volume Milton quick disconnects.

The higher the standing pressure is in any system, the shorter life your compressor will have, simply because at higher pressures, carbon builds up on the valves in the compressor(s) and eventually, they need to be rebuilt. 135 psi will run any air tool and I have a lot of them. From impact's to die grinders to blow guns to air greasers.

Myself, I have a Saylor Beal vertical 2 stage twin on an 80 gallon receiver with a 7.5 horse cap start, cap run 240 American made motor that has been running for 35 years, no issue. I would never buy anything from Northern tool except a Quincy or an IR all the rest are Chinese. I also have a Sullaire screw compressor because I use a huge amount of compressed air when running my CNC plasma table but the screw compressor only runs when I use the table. All my shop air lines are in steel pipe with drops (and condensate drains on each) place around the shop in convenient spots. However, I keep the screw compressor's receiver pressurized whether it's running or not because the more receiver capacity you have, the less a compressor has to run to maintain air pressure.

I have my entire system set for 135 psi which is all you really need for air powered tools and the lower the static pressure you run, the less condensate is produced plus I have automatic condensate drains on the compressors as well and all my air tools as well as all my air outlets are high volume Milton quick disconnects.

The higher the standing pressure is in any system, the shorter life your compressor will have, simply because at higher pressures, carbon builds up on the valves in the compressor(s) and eventually, they need to be rebuilt. 135 psi will run any air tool and I have a lot of them. From impact's to die grinders to blow guns to air greasers.
You have a world class set up there.
Hate to tell ya 5030.
but the small Quincy is also made in China now.
The thing that turns me off on the Quincy is the duty cycle.
50% is not gonna cut it with that small of a tank.
The 60 gal IR has a continuous run motor as well.
And for only $150 more, It's looking better and better.
Now to hunt down to see if the previous owner popped in a 220 outlet in the garage some where.