chevy half ton tranny trouble

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #1  

3gunr

Veteran Member
Tractor
mahindra 2538 mahindra 2810 cub cadet 7260 massey 255
The tranny in my 2012 chevy silverado went out recently along with 6 other people i know , When i took it to a shop there were ten chevy trucks there all waiting for new trannys, Seems the six speed has lots of issues i had no idea about , I have 176,ooo miles on it, how many of you out there have had tranny troubles on your chevy truck

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #2  
The 4L60E/6L60E transmissions are apparently notorious for having issues as they age; now that's what I've read, my own experiences with the 4L60E were all pretty positive.

Now the one you want is the 4L80E/6L80E in the HD trucks from that era.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #3  
The 4l80e was a decent trans had it in my used/ abused GMC 3500 dumper doo. Older folks I know told me to stay away from the 60e especially in 1/2 ton plow trucks.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #4  
Your halfton probably have the 6L80E transmission? I had that in my 2009 Pontiac G8GT, it was a trouble free transmission before it got squashed by a tree falling on it after 80Mph winds.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #5  
[speaking as a retired gm tech] Each family of tranny has it's own unique weakness over time. Doesn't matter who's brand.
The closest thing to a bullet-proof trans is the Allison IF you don't do stupid chit to the power in front of it.
Problems now are waiting parts availability if you need a pump and convertor.
From the owner's POV, a complete reman is desirable for the Warranty offered (3yr/100k) vs having a local guy do rebuild (??mo/??miles) in case there are issues down the road and where it happens

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #6  
Your halfton probably have the 6L80E transmission? I had that in my 2009 Pontiac G8GT, it was a trouble free transmission before it got squashed by a tree falling on it after 80Mph winds.

It'd have the 6L60E; the HD trucks had the 6L80E.

Also, sorry about the G8, those were magical cars.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #7  
I am curious about one thing and that is... Did you EVER bother to change the fluid and / or the filter? I do that as regular service on ALL my slush boxes, no matter what make they are.

One thing I do additionally is, I install a bulkhead fitting in the trans pan if it has no drain (which most don't today).

Don't ever buy a Fords 10 speed either. My BIL was the lead engineer / designer on it and as flakey as he is, I'd never have one.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #8  
Usually have to drop the pan to change trans filters on the gm 60 and 80s cuz it's internal. Allison does have a external spinner filter but also has an internal one you have to drop the pan to change. Kind of a rebuttal on claims Allison's are bullet proof, dropped my pan changed the internal filter and fluid a month later went into limp mode, was stuck in 4th permanently on a 6 speed auto by now I'm freaking out thinking I royally screwed it up somehow, thankfully it was a bad speed sensor on transfer case which caused the computer to put it in 4th permanently. Easy fix and I can sleep at night again.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #9  
But not the fault of the trans. End result of electrical issue causing Limp mode. Wasn't in Tennis shoe mode.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #10  
Still affected trans from performing like it should. Electronic free the mechanical components do seem rock solid though.