Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,581  
Your connection with the Old World perspective serves you well and has had an influence on me.

Like any good Kentucky Red Neck my view of EV was the image of a 36 volt golf cart like our 2007 Ezgo that I bought in 2012 to use for the twins Drivers Ed training. We could do a 10 mile round trip never crossing a state highway or any community. Fast forward to 2019 when I read how a Mercedes Benz Norway distributor had a $20 million sales short fall due to Tesla Model S and X sales. The interviews of these former MB owners got my attention.

Shortly after that I saw my first
Leaf and Tesla in Murray. Not being a person that lets the herd do my thinking for me I drove to St Louis and bought a problem child.

it was a 2016 Nissan Leaf SL with a heat pump and surround Camara system since I have no head rotation. At 22K miles the range was down from 107 miles to 60 miles and the sales person said I would be due a new battery in short order. 5 weeks later on Thanksgiving weekend it triggered the battery warranty at 25K miles.

As my luck runs Nissan had stopped making the 30 kWh battery pack so they installed a new chemistry 40 kWh battery pack. Then for the $13.5K purchase price we had a new like top of the trim line with a new 150 mile range EV. Even before the battery chonked out I knew I was an EV owner for life.

Below is a 15 minute discussion how the USA is lagging Europe and especially China. 15 seconds in graph tells all there is to know.

Do you copy and paste that story every couple of weeks or do you retype it?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,582  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,584  
Published yesterday. Quality issues will kill the market for any product. May be part of the reason EVs are not moving out of dealer inventory. The sample size is 10% of the 3.34 million EVs estimated to be on the road in the USA. Before someone tries to kill the messenger, I do acknowledge that ICE vehicles have their problems as well. My 2024 GMC 3500HD Denali had to go in to have the navigation/entertainment system reflashed so it would keep the settings.

"Based on owner responses on more than 330,000 vehicles, the survey covers 20 potential problem areas, including engine, transmission, electric motors, leaks, and infotainment systems. Charging problems reported by members are with the vehicle, not with home or public chargers."

Electric Vehicles Are Less Reliable Than Conventional Cars - Consumer Reports

1701349681829.png

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-test-my-code-but-when-i-do-i.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,585  
Keep in mind Tesla is the only experienced EV producer and the only brand on the market continuously since 2008.

So far Tesla doesn't have any actual competition from North America or Europe on the near horizon.

Don't look for quality affordable EVs before 2035 for the masses. By 2050 our EV options should be clear.

There is much talk but little do from Tesla's want to be competitors. Today the first Tesla pick up starts to happen.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,586  
Keep in mind Tesla is the only experienced EV producer and the only brand on the market continuously since 2008.

So far Tesla doesn't have any actual competition from North America or Europe on the near horizon.

Don't look for quality affordable EVs before 2035 for the masses. By 2050 our EV options should be clear.

There is much talk but little do from Tesla's want to be competitors. Today the first Tesla pick up starts to happen.

In 2035, I will be 85 YO. Dead or near enough to dead in 2050. In part, that makes EV's not very interesting to me.

Now, if China brings in a $15k "disposable" puddle jumper for my day to day needs, that might be interesting, but I would still have an ICE vehicle.

With 103k miles on my 2015 F150 I am hoping to get another 7 years out of it. I will be 80 YO when I buy my next, and likely last, vehicle. It is unlikely to be an EV in spite of all the propaganda wrt to "new developments". Nearly every automaker is scaling back EV plans...and that is a telling reality.

I am not an EV hater, but tend to being pragmatic. If EV's work and meet my needs, I would jump on board. So far, no cigar.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,587  
Yes EVs will better fit today's 50 and under crowd.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,589  
Cybertruck Delivery Event with commentary by Tesla Motor Club
group

Against an F 350 diesel, pulling a 40,000lb sled, it beat the F350 it by over 50 feet. Also will fit a 4x8 sheet. Can get 17 inches of ground clearance, Locking axles, torque vectoring. Drag raced a Porsche 911 and beat it in the quarter while towing another 911 on a trailer somewhat bait and switch since those tests seem to be the more expensive Cyberbeast which is not available yet.

The 2 motor is what is being delivered now, which is 80K and quite a bit slower.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,590  
Cybertruck Delivery Event with commentary by Tesla Motor Club
group

Against an F 350 diesel, pulling a 40,000lb sled, it beat the F350 it by over 50 feet. Also will fit a 4x8 sheet. Can get 17 inches of ground clearance, Locking axles, torque vectoring. Drag raced a Porsche 911 and beat it in the quarter while towing another 911 on a trailer somewhat bait and switch since those tests seem to be the more expensive Cyberbeast which is not available yet.

The 2 motor is what is being delivered now, which is 80K and quite a bit slower.

They face many challenges getting a stainless steel unibody truck to market.

The bulk of the truck market is not interested in diesel performance enough to pay $80k+. And when used as a deisel, hauling heavy loads, what will the range be? If that data is in the video…shame on me…I am not going to spend an hour and a half listening to a video.