TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,341  
Happy New Year everyone!!

So I saw a deal last week and couldn’t pass it up . 10mm Hi Point JPX . I was able to get out and run 20 rounds through it . Not bad the pistol is very heavy but the weight negates the recoil quite well. For the money you can’t go wrong . It cycles Hollow Points perfectly . It should be a good Bear gun while Bow Hunting Elk in Idaho.
If it is like other HPs it ugly and heavy but goes boom every time and tends to accurate enough. Plus if you do drop it, or it gets muddy , wet, etc you won't be all po'd

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,342  
If it is like other HPs it ugly and heavy but goes boom every time and tends to accurate enough. Plus if you do drop it, or it gets muddy , wet, etc you won't be all po'd
You are 100% correct. But I’ve spent more money taking the family out to dinner than this cost . I have a hi point 9mm and the carbine also and you just can’t find anything for that kind of money . Everyone loves the Carbine and the pistol is a truck gun that I’ve had for ten years and it functions every time I dig it out . The 10mm Will serve a purpose. It’s a perfect caliber to carry in the mountains.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,343  
Happy New Year everyone!!

So I saw a deal last week and couldn’t pass it up . 10mm Hi Point JPX . I was able to get out and run 20 rounds through it . Not bad the pistol is very heavy but the weight negates the recoil quite well. For the money you can’t go wrong . It cycles Hollow Points perfectly . It should be a good Bear gun while Bow Hunting Elk in Idaho.
You’ve shot 20 rounds through it but are letting us know it cycles HPs perfectly?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,344  
I've had 3 Hi Points; 2 40 cal pistols, and 1 9mm carbine. The pistols and carbines were all reliable, but clunky and not exactly a joy to shoot. Nowadays, there are better choices in the sub $300 pistols. The Taurus compact 9s (G3, G2C, Pt111, ect) are way nicer for maybe $50 more. The Skyy pistols; neighbor has several, and I'm not exactly a fan, but they are nicer in the hand than a Hi Point. Haven't held one yet, but Rock Island M200 38 spl seems like a big upgrade from a Hi Point as well, and is only $279.

I should add, when I started typing this, I thought Hi Points were $229; but a search found many places at $179; so it's $100 savings.

The only reliability issue I've seen with HPs, is failing to get the mag all the way in, but thinking it is; and the top round not really riding in right, and going nose up. Doesn't seem to be an issue if the mag is seated 100%

With all that, enjoy the pistol.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,345  
I carry a G3, nicer than HP for sure and still not to pricey. My HP 40 I bought for 110 and it is my tractor gun, mounted below the seat easy to reach. I have the 40 carbine, bought because I had the pistol and it was just bit over 200 way back when. Use it drop steers, and others.
Bought both many years ago and have add a lot of nicer weapons since.... They have their uses, because they are cheap but solid. You don't shed a tear if it drops into manure or worse.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,347  
Lots of nice cheap pistols out there . I bought 3 of EAA Girsan Mc 29 at $229 ea two years ago . That has been the best cheap gun I’ve found .
I gave my son in laws ones for Xmas . So yes Hi points kind of suck but they serve a purpose. So for 2024 show us your best finds in guns .

Attachments

• IMG_4756.jpeg
    IMG_4756.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 43
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,348  
I finished 2023 with 58 pigs. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the last 2, to hit an even 60.

However, I started 2024 with a big old battle-scarred boar that's painted like a panda. Look at the scars around his head and ears. I flushed him out of a brush covered creek bank and downed him with a single .308 round.
The ranchers Anatolian Shepard guard dog decided to get in on the 2024 pig killing action. She caught and killed one on her own. Not bad for a 1 eyed guard dog (lost vision in an eye to a rattlesnake bite).

Our 2024 tally is now at 2.😁
Sally's pig.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,350  
I need some recommendations. I have 22lr conversion slide for my Sig 226 and that's what I usually carry on me or in my truck when I'm at the deer lease for dispatching wounded/trapped hogs etc. It's a very accurate and reliable setup. I really like the SA/DA with decocker of the P226, so I started looking at the Sig Mosquito as a dedicated ranch gun. They're discontinued, but still available NIB on gun broker. Does anyone have one? How does the size compare to a P226? Or if the size is nearly identical, am I just as well off to continue with what I'm currently doing with the P226?

I'm not set on having to have a decocker, but I do prefer a hammer SA/DA, not a striker fired pistol, for this duty. Any other guns I should look at?

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a compact "belly" gun that's only good for 7 yards, and also not a target pistol with a stupid long barrel. But kind of a working man's field gun that's in between.

Last edited: