Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #571  
Rigging up the hay fork as a zip line in the big barn. I look at that rig now 50yrs later and wonder. I was in the emergency room 5 times that summer for stupid stuff. Block and tackles are interesting, you can pull yourself up so high. Baling twine and fence wire - every trade has it's way of fastening.

Last edited:
   / Stupid Things I Have Done #572  
I released the parking brake when I was 4 or so and rolled our 50's Ford down the driveway and into the street, blocking traffic. Police came and I don't remember after that but everyone was calm about it. "Just don't do that again."
When I was about age 12 or 14, my older sister's boyfriend used to always leave his keys in his car, a 302 cid powered Maverick. He used to always joke with me, that I could take it for a spin, if I wanted.

So, one day mom is looking out the kitchen window, while my sister and her boyfriend are sitting at the kitchen table. Mom says, "hey Vince, it looks like someone stole your car, and is driving it down the street!" He says, "don't worry, it's just your son." :ROFLMAO:

Next thing I know, I see mom chasing me down the street, barefoot and yelling. I was smart enough to stop, and let her catch up.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #573  
When I was about age 12 or 14, my older sister's boyfriend used to always leave his keys in his car, a 302 cid powered Maverick. He used to always joke with me, that I could take it for a spin, if I wanted.

So, one day mom is looking out the kitchen window, while my sister and her boyfriend are sitting at the kitchen table. Mom says, "hey Vince, it looks like someone stole your car, and is driving it down the street!" He says, "don't worry, it's just your son."

Next thing I know, I see mom chasing me down the street, barefoot and yelling. I was smart enough to stop, and let her catch up.
I would have tossed out tacks and gone 10-15 mph.
Probably why my behind is like shoe leather

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #574  
My biggest fear burning the pile or woods is having to call the state forestry service if it gets away from me. There weapon of choice is equivalent to a D5 (?) dozer with a plow towed behind that makes a 3-4 foot wide ditch with foot high berms on either side. One heck of a mess. Great to have them available though. Examples:
View attachment 854430View attachment 854431
What's Paul Hogan's line?

They (CalFire) tend to use D-9s around here, nine feet wide or so on a single pass using rippers as the soil is usually too hard to plow.… In 2020, CalFire was hauling a convoy of three D9s up our rather narrow road to launch a defensive line against a big fire, and the D9 trailer (over height and over width) couldn't make a tight hairpin turn on a 15% grade, having already made a turn nearly as tight lower down. The semidriver backed the trailer down to the first hairpin and around the hairpin to unload one of the D9s. The D9 came up the road and flattened the inside of the curve. The dozer backed down, reloaded and then off they went. "Can do attitude"!

They held the fire line about a mile away from us, which was scary close given the size of the fire and the height of the flames. Locally that 2020 fire burned nearly 400,000 acres, 222 buildings, and almost burned the second largest refracting telescope in the US.

The amazing thing is that our fire crews come back and do the restoration work afterwards. They kindly left the "improved corner" in the improved state.

Great folks.

We don't ever burn anything here other than propane in the stove. I think that the fire risk is just too high. I don't mow dry grass either.

All the best,

Peter

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
When will I be old enough to remember to put the garage door all the way up when taking tractor or sxs out?

Or, conversely for me, lower the roll bar before backing into the garage!!!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #577  
First time I did that with my brand new Deere as I pulled into garage suddenly I was looking at the opener! I could pop light cover off cleaning out a few bugs. I eased it back and still amazed how strong the building & rops were to go undamaged except for two perfect dents in door header trim.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #578  
My 8 ft barn door has about 1.5 inches in the clear when I roll the tractor in or out... This ensures that the cat who sleeps on the roof is never taken out for a ride. :LOL:

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #579  
I was surprised but pleased to learn that a Kubota cab version of their Grand L tractor is about 4 inches shorter than its ROPS sibling. The cab goes under my 8 ft door, the ROPS didn’t.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #580  
First time I did that with my brand new Deere as I pulled into garage suddenly I was looking at the opener! I could pop light cover off cleaning out a few bugs. I eased it back and still amazed how strong the building & rops were to go undamaged except for two perfect dents in door header trim.
When we located from another state I dragged a lot of equipment with me and had to struggle to get stuff into our temporary rental barns.
The fit for the fixed ROPS was so close I had to lower the air pressure in the tires, back under the door header and reinflate on the other side.