JIC fittings?

/ JIC fittings? #1  

ametcalf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23, Allis Chalmers 5040
Can anyone tell me by looking at the attached pictures if these are JIC fittings? They are both on our BX23. The first is where the hard lines change to the hoses for the curl cylinder. The second picture is where the hose goes into curl cylinder.

Attachments

• 100_3400.JPG
    100_3400.JPG
    619.3 KB · Views: 685
  • 100_3407.JPG
    100_3407.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 432
   / JIC fittings? #2  
I would say they probably are but maybe someone with a BX 23 will verify that for you. zman

/ JIC fittings? #3  
ametcalf; said:
Can anyone tell me by looking at the attached pictures if these are JIC fittings? They are both on our BX23. The first is where the hard lines change to the hoses for the curl cylinder. The second picture is where the hose goes into curl cylinder.

Sure looks like a JIC fitting. Look on this page and verify.

JIC 37° Hydraulic Tube Fittings > Discount Hydraulic Hose.com

/ JIC fittings? #4  
Is this a test? Why not just take them apart and find out for sure? It's not like you will loose a lot of fluid. Take it apart and put it back together.

/ JIC fittings? #5  
Is this a test? Why not just take them apart and find out for sure? It's not like you will loose a lot of fluid. Take it apart and put it back together.

Agreed:thumbsup:

It is very difficult to tell the difference between a JIC and a NPSM swivel fitting without taking them apart and verifying

/ JIC fittings? #6  
You have to give him some credit for asking, he may not recognize or know anything about hyd fittings.

Could you recognize a JIS or a JIC fitting? I don't think I could be certain with out measuring the angle.

/ JIC fittings? #7  
May be an ISO metric fitting. My MF has em on the loader. Not sure on the Kubota, I heard the loader was made in the US.

/ JIC fittings?

I guess this is a test and I am the one taking it. I hadn't thought of taking it apart to look at it, partly because until I read J_J's post, I didn't know what to look for. In a past life I was a plumber long enough to learn, "If a joint isn't leaking, don't mess with it unless you have to."

You have to give him some credit for asking, he may not recognize or know anything about hyd fittings.

Could you recognize a JIS or a JIC fitting? I don't think I could be certain with out measuring the angle.

J_J,
You are exactly right, I don't know anything about these hydraulic fittings, but I am learning. I need to know what these are so I can buy the right ones to plumb the new grapple cylinder. I think one way to make sure I get ones that will match is to take one of the hoses off the loader curl cylinder to a hydraulic shop and see what matches up.

One thing I do know about hydraulic flare fittings is that you shouldn't cross thread them. It is a long story but back in the 60s I was a flight mechanic on a Navy C-54 when one got cross threaded in the belly of the aircraft on a flight from Colorado Springs to Glenview Naval Air Station, north of Chicago. All the way across Iowa and half way across Illinois I spent on my back in the cramped belly of the aircraft with my triangular file working on the male side of the fitting. I got it back together, poured in what 5606 hydraulic fluid we had on board along with some water and coffee and was able to get the gear to lock down when we got to Glenview. It was a memorable afternoon.

Attachments

• douglas C54.jpg
    douglas C54.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 292
   / JIC fittings? #9  
I would suspect they are 37 degree flare. The unknown is are the tubes american size or metric?

3/8 tube should use an 11/16 wrench on the tube nuts.

Roy

/ JIC fittings?
I would suspect they are 37 degree flare. The unknown is are the tubes american size or metric?

3/8 tube should use an 11/16 wrench on the tube nuts.

Roy

Thank you Roy,
I just checked and the flare nuts do take an 11/16 inch wrench.:)
Arvid