Another 4400 front axle leaking!

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
Well, it looks like the front axle seal near the wheel is leaking. I looked at the parts manual, and if I am looking at this right, just this seal should not be a big deal, with no special tools needed. Am I missing something?

thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• Axle.gif
    Axle.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 7,397
   / Another 4400 front axle leaking! #2  
Well, it looks like the front axle seal near the wheel is leaking. I looked at the parts manual, and if I am looking at this right, just this seal should not be a big deal, with no special tools needed. Am I missing something?

thanks

Wayne

Time to sell that and get a new 3720 CAB I think!

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #3  
It's a great time of year to sell and install axle seals for compact tractors. The axles are mostly unvented, and the warmer weather expands the air and oil within the axle. Often a little oil will be pushed out of a swivel seal or axle seal. Sometimes the leak persists and a repair is indicated. Other times, the area can be cleaned up, the axle fill plug loosened to vent the axle, and life can go on.

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #4  
are the front axles vented in any way? i notice when i loosen the cap on my 4300, i can hear the pressure release...so i presume not.

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking!
Yea, the axles are not vented, when you open the plug you hear the air venting. ( in or out...) This started in the winter when it was cold, still not sure how a seal can go bad unless something is worn, and with 500 hours I can't imagine that is the case.

So, DFKRUG, if you see this, to just replace the lower seal on the front axle looks easy, take off the wheel, remove bolts, and the entire thing comes apart. One snap ring and it should slide out... How hard can this be.....

Kenny: 40k for a new cab machine with 37HP is a bit much, looks like we can get a 50 HP cab machine for almost the same $$!!!!

regards

Wayne

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #6  
One snap ring and it should slide out... How hard can this be.....

Yeah, the hub seal is easy, but you have to take off the #14 nut deep
inside the housing to get at the kingpin seal. After removing the
pressed in cap at the bottom.

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #7  
The pivot seal on the front axle is not an easy repair.It takes a special spanner nut socket to remove the spanner nut that holds the sections together

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #8  
It takes a special spanner nut socket...

....like this.

The photo shows the #14 nut from the above parts diagram. I made my
own special tool out of some sched 40 pipe with 2 weld beads for teeth.
This was the toughest of all MFWD hubs I have been into (4 different ones).
More photos are in my 4300 thread.

Attachments

• parts.JPG
    parts.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,809
   / Another 4400 front axle leaking! #9  
This was the toughest of all MFWD hubs I have been into (4 different ones).

I agree. I have done dozens of Ford/New Holland, a few Kubotas, an older Deere 855, and one of these. The spanner nut was a PITA without the proper tool.

/ Another 4400 front axle leaking! #10  
figures....go outside today to do some stuff...i happen to look over at the tractor and there is all sorts of fluid on the floor. looks like a front axle seal!!!!! #33 (or similar - haven't looked at my axle spec #) in the previously posted jdparts diagram. from Dfkrug's thread, this appears to be the dreaded kingpin seal.

i changed the fluid last thursday (just over 1 wk ago) and used it a cpl times since, and nothing. it had been sitting a cpl days and all of a sudden, it leaks? it has gone from cold to hot in the last cpl of days...but can this really force the oil out of the seal?

there was maybe 1/2 a quart lost. i re-filled because i needed to use it, and put a clean pan under to catch any more leaks.

i'll have to call the dealer and see if this is covered under my 'drivetrain' warranty.