LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #1  

dkair

Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
The goal of this post is to get my questions answered and, more importantly, get more of the Kioti wiring documented with pictures. I am also more than happy to answer any questions I can about the project. My apologies if my search skills failed me and all of this is already documented.

I am working to add 3 LED work lights to my CK35 HST (2013). From reading previous posts, I thought I had my wiring figured out. However, as I got down to it tonight I am not quite sure. I already have two incandescent work lights on either side of the SMV sign that were installed by the dealer. Each plugs into bullet style connectors. I thought the right one was on the "Customer Use" circuit, but that proved to be untrue. Here's what I found.

27 Watt, 1550 Lumen TUFF LED Lights purchased from Amazon on custom made bar held on to ROPS with U bolts. The lights were a good price purchased in a set of four (the fourth is going on my ATV) and the quality seems quite nice.
2014-01-02 18.17.21 (Medium).jpg

My fuse layout
2014-01-02 18.23.25 (Medium).jpg

The light on the right of the sign plugs into right most bullet connector. It has power when the key is on. It is connected to the "Back Up Lamp, Working Lamp" 7.5A fuse.
2014-01-02 18.12.39 (Medium).jpg

2014-01-02 18.13.32 (Medium).jpg

The light on the left of the sign plugs into left-side bullet connector. It has power when the headlights are on. It is connected to the "Head Lamp, Tail Lamp" 7.5A fuse, but remains on if I pull the 20A "Headlight, Horn" fuse. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why there are two fuses for the headlights? If you pull either fuse, both headlights go out.
2014-01-02 18.15.41 (Medium).jpg

2014-01-02 18.16.11 (Medium).jpg

This connector doesn't seem to have any voltage under any scenario - does anyone know what it is?
2014-01-02 18.16.22 (Medium).jpg

Is this the "Customer Use" connection and, if not, what is it? Located further back than the two bullet connector pairs.
2014-01-02 18.14.18 (Medium).jpg

Does anyone know what this connector is for? Located on right side near right side work light bullet connectors.
2014-01-02 18.14.53 (Medium).jpg

Thanks as always for any help,
DK

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #2  
To wire your 3 lights use the 15 amp customer use fuse. Best to use a relay to wire an aux light circuit.
Use a test light/VOM and wiring diagram to figure out what circuits connectors are where and what they supply power to/from.

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #3  
Can't help with the Kioti wiring, but I just put the same lights on my JD. Two forward and two back. They light up the work area like daylight and I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I wired them independently with added switches.

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions
To wire your 3 lights use the 15 amp customer use fuse. Best to use a relay to wire an aux light circuit.
Use a test light/VOM and wiring diagram to figure out what circuits connectors are where and what they supply power to/from.

Yes, I would like to use the 15 AMP Customer Use circuit, but am not sure where the wires are located. I do not have access to the wiring diagrams but will stop by the dealership when I am in town and see if they'll print me a page. I was considering using a relay, but the waterproof switch I purchased is rated at twice the amps the lights will pull. I don't anticipate any impact from voltage drop, but can you explain to me the benefits of running a relay in this situation?

Yeah, time to break out the test light I guess...Thanks!

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #5  
Here is a copied schematic of the lighting for a CK 27_30_35. Hope it will help. Hope this doesn't infringe on any copyrights. The customer use (not shown in this schematic) circuit (should be a red wire) and another circuit (back up lamp which I think is controlled by the headlight switch) are located in two different connectors behind and under the seat. I'll try and copy another picture of the locations if I don't get slapped for copyright issues.

Steve

Attachments

• CK27_30_35 lighting.GIF
    CK27_30_35 lighting.GIF
    870.1 KB · Views: 2,046
  • CCF01032014_00001.jpg
    CCF01032014_00001.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 2,361
  • CCF01032014_00000.jpg
    CCF01032014_00000.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 936
Last edited:
   / LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #6  
What is the length of the bar that your lights are mounted on? The one between the ROPS?

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #7  
Yes, I would like to use the 15 AMP Customer Use circuit, but am not sure where the wires are located. I do not have access to the wiring diagrams but will stop by the dealership when I am in town and see if they'll print me a page. I was considering using a relay, but the waterproof switch I purchased is rated at twice the amps the lights will pull. I don't anticipate any impact from voltage drop, but can you explain to me the benefits of running a relay in this situation?

Yeah, time to break out the test light I guess...Thanks!

Relays can handle the circuit better than a switch in lighting situations, so the wiring is less likely to overload. LEDs may reduce the need some due to less amps drawn by the circuit compared to halogen or other higher draw bulbs. Relays are basically another layer of protection for your wiring to prevent possibly of overheating/burnout...

Here is a copied schematic of the lighting for a CK 27_30_35. Hope it will help. Hope this doesn't infringe on any copyrights. The customer use (not shown in this schematic) circuit (should be a red wire) and another circuit (back up lamp which I think is controlled by the headlight switch) are located in two different connectors behind and under the seat. I'll try and copy another picture of the locations if I don't get slapped for copyright issues.

Steve

Thank you, Steve, this is helpful. My back up lamp circuit powers my existing right-rear work light. It has power when the key is on. It is connected to the "Back Up Lamp, Working Lamp" 7.5A fuse. The other connectors/wires I can find near the bullet connectors for the back up lamp are pictured in the two bottom pictures in my original post. From looking at the fuse panel, it does indeed appear to be a red wire that comes from the customer use circuit. I'll have to head out to the shop and see if I can trace it, but it is not immediately visible in the right rear of the tractor.

-DK

What is the length of the bar that your lights are mounted on? The one between the ROPS?

Exactly 3 feet including the welded-on flat metal ends. I used 1x1 angle iron and welded on flat metal ends which were drilled, as you can see, to accept the u bolts. I drilled a couple extra holes to use for additional lights should I decide to add them and will also work well for securing wires. Pretty simple, not super pretty, but will get the job done.

/ LED Work Lights on ROPS - Info and Wiring Questions #10  
Thanks for the helpful measurements dk!