Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix!

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #1  

curtisfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
M7040, L48, KX121-3, RTV 1100 and a couple of older Fords
I lost reverse on a L48, was told it is probably a relief valve since forward worked fine. Got a call from the dealer saying it is something inside. Was quoted $4,800 just to split the tractor and then over $4,000 in parts just to start. YIKES!!!!!!! Almost $10K+ to fix a tranny? I am completely disappointed as a loyal Kubot owner with many Kubota products. That is a 1/3rd the value of a new machine! Granted it is a commercial machine with subframe and takes a little longer to fix, but that kind of $ is absurd. I called a different dealer and got a labor quote for 1/2 the price, the parts are the same. My logic is to buy a complete HST unit, which they do sell as 1 unit, as opposed to open the machine up and only replace what is broken for only $1,000 less. In a situation like this, you have to consider abondening the machine and putting it into a new one. I do have another, newer L48 so I could use it as a parts machine. Still thinking I should fix it. It has 1,955 hours on it. New tranny and should be good to go for a while I think. Any thoughts? Thanks!

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #2  
I lost reverse on a L48, was told it is probably a relief valve since forward worked fine. Got a call from the dealer saying it is something inside. Was quoted $4,800 just to split the tractor and then over $4,000 in parts just to start. YIKES!!!!!!! Almost $10K+ to fix a tranny? I am completely disappointed as a loyal Kubot owner with many Kubota products. That is a 1/3rd the value of a new machine! Granted it is a commercial machine with subframe and takes a little longer to fix, but that kind of $ is absurd. I called a different dealer and got a labor quote for 1/2 the price, the parts are the same. My logic is to buy a complete HST unit, which they do sell as 1 unit, as opposed to open the machine up and only replace what is broken for only $1,000 less. In a situation like this, you have to consider abondening the machine and putting it into a new one. I do have another, newer L48 so I could use it as a parts machine. Still thinking I should fix it. It has 1,955 hours on it. New tranny and should be good to go for a while I think. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you want to keep the L48 I would go with whole HST unit new for 1K more!

What is the main purpose of the L48 for you? Ie; does it make you $ or not?

Also did they tell you what part failed and what caused it?

Thanks

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #3  
If the new transmission installation is cheaper, that's the way I would go since you should see another 2000 or more hours with it.
You wrote
Granted it is a commercial machine with subframe
That would make any repairs tax deductable, which doesn't help your cashflow, but will be some relief when you file your taxes next year...

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #5  
$4800 for splitting the machine, making the repairs, and reassembly seems really steep, almost like they didn't want the job. I'm not sure what the labor rate is where you are but even out here in California at $100/hr that's a lot of labor hours. HST's don't typically lose one direction. I'm with you I would think it lost a relief. I agree though if it truly needed $4000 worth of parts I would go ahead and replace the whole hydrostat unit on a machine with 2000 hrs. I would want to know what tests they did to determine it needed said repairs. I would also be tempted to take it to the other shop for a second opinion.

Brian

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #6  
$4800 for splitting the machine, making the repairs, and reassembly seems really steep, almost like they didn't want the job. I'm not sure what the labor rate is where you are but even out here in California at $100/hr that's a lot of labor hours. HST's don't typically lose one direction. I'm with you I would think it lost a relief. I agree though if it truly needed $4000 worth of parts I would go ahead and replace the whole hydrostat unit on a machine with 2000 hrs. I would want to know what tests they did to determine it needed said repairs. I would also be tempted to take it to the other shop for a second opinion.

Brian

+1 I don't know the inside of an HST, but something about that quote just doesn't sound right... almost like they don't know what they're doing, don't want the job or figure to make up some money on the job. I'd look for someone who can explain specifically what they think is wrong with it and can present a more reasonable labor estimate.

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #7  
the split charge seems like a lot. I'd get another opinion.

Amen buddy that's split is high $$$$$$. I also vote for another opinion. Last year I had a M4900/cab tractor spit and fwd/reverse syncronizer replaced and the total bill was $2000

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #8  
Maybe we ought to keep this thread for reference when people ask "HST or clutch?" :( Yikes.

/ Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #9  
I want to hear more from curtisfarmer before drawing a conclusion. He says it is a commercial machine, don't know if it was in commercial use. Fluids recently changed, cold weather, history of slowing response between forward/reverse. I wonder if SUDT or better was used, surely so.

I want to hear the rest of the story. Messicks and everyone else think the split charge alone is too much.

Last edited:
   / Broken HST/ No Reverse= HUGE $ to Fix! #10  
I've split many Kubotas in my career, though I have never split that model before. I'm thinking 20 hours on the low side and 28 on the high side. There is definitely more work to do splitting an L48 vs other non-industrial machines, due to the hydrailic tank and extra loader and backhoe framing. Depending on the hourly rate, $4800 sounds like 48+ hours to me.

Brian