Valve Clearance

/ Valve Clearance #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
Can someone run me through the procedure to check and set valve clearance on a Mitsubishi 1.3L three cylinder diesel engine? I just helped my neighbor replace the clutch in his tractor and when we had the flywheel off the only marking I saw on the flywheel was a black Sharpe pen mark. If you look through the timing window the only thing you see is that mark on the flywheel and when we put the flywheel back on we did not pay attention to where the mark was originally. So when we go to check the valve clearance how do we do it? Does anyone know of a manual that describes the step by step on getting the pistons on the correct stroke to set the valve clearance? I've done this on a Kubota four cylinder but I had the manual and that made it easy. We have a manual for the Mitsubishi engine which is in a Cub Cadet 7260 26 HP and it does not show how to do a step by step through the procedure. Only thing I could find in the service manual was that the valve clearance setting is .0098". Any help would be appreciated.

/ Valve Clearance #2  
Actually fairly simple as long as you can determine that both valves are in the closed position.
Gently rocking the crankshaft back and forth for each cylinder will quickly determine when both are closed.
That would be when to gauge the gap.
Were it a gas engine that would be easier as the spark plug lets you determine TDC visually.

Reminds me I need to check my Mitsubishi engine valve gaps as well.
Holding me back is needing to get a valve cover gasket as I fear shipping would only get me one in assorted pieces.

/ Valve Clearance #3  
I had a Mitsubishi four cylinder diesel. I didn't worry about timing marks. I would rotate the engine until the given rocker arm was at its highest point giving the maximum space to the valve stem. I would then adjust for the proper clearance. I'm not sure what this has to do with replacing a clutch, though.

/ Valve Clearance #4  
Not sure what Mitsubishi engine you have but here is the service manual for the S3L and S4

Attachments

• s3l.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 420