New wood chipper : guess the brand/model

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
This is my new wood chipper. So far it has been very good. Hydraulic feed, variable rate, it will chip whole trees without limbing up to around 6".

Attachments

• 20210319_153633.jpg
    20210319_153633.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 235
  • 20210319_161757.jpg
    20210319_161757.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 236
   / New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #2  
Looks like a knockoff of a Wallenstein.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #3  
Sure does. That tractor isn't capable of chipping a 6" diameter anything except maybe a rotten willow log or balsa wood. Not enough balls.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #4  
Sure does. That tractor isn't capable of chipping a 6" diameter anything except maybe a rotten willow log or balsa wood. Not enough balls.
Never had a problem chipping 6in hardwoods on my B2620 which has a smaller engine then the CK2610 that the chipper appears to be on. Yeah it'll slow it down, but even with mechanical feed I can do it, just have to feather the feed at times.

With that hyd. feed he shouldn't have any problems.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model
Never had a problem chipping 6in hardwoods on my B2620 which has a smaller engine then the CK2610 that the chipper appears to be on. Yeah it'll slow it down, but even with mechanical feed I can do it, just have to feather the feed at times.

With that hyd. feed he shouldn't have any problems.
Correct, although to be fair I have chipped mostly garbage soft woods (poplars/willows/sumacs). But I do feel I could just slow it down a tad to chip hardwood.
Looks like a knockoff of a Wallenstein.
Wallenstein gravity feeds at an angle, and their hydraulic feed has a straight chute, like a Woodmax WM-8H (which may or may not be a clone of the Wallenstein). Also the WM-8H is a 1080rpm machine, this one is direct drive 540rpm, 4 knives per rev. Much better for low HP machines IMHO. So Wallenstien is not the best match :)

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #6  
I had and sold a Jinma 6" mechanical feed chipper years ago. Cist me nothing because I sold it for what I paid for it, used ones (any pto chipper) used is a rare item around here.

While my M900 Kubota was extreme overkill in pto power (mine dyno's at 93 pto), I extended the legs so the driveline would run level (was really made for a compact tractor, added a Weasler multi-plat slip clutch (was concerned running that much power might destroy it) and ran it for a couple years.

I stuffed some pretty big stuff (logs and big limbs into it and it ate them no issue). No slowing down with with 93 horses on the input. Did more than one maximum diameter (6") hardwood logs. It protested a bit but ate it.

Now, if I had run it on a less powerful tractor, I don't see where a small tractor could handle the power required to eat a big (6') diameter hardwood log but then I don't have anything to compare to.

I sold it for 2 reasons, one I have lots of trees and I was constantly chipping and you can only use so many chips in the border beds and two, I find that roasting them is an easier option with a lot less after the fact cleanup and work. Nice pile, bit of accelerant (usually used motor oil), a match and that handles it.

Would I ever buy another one, no way.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model
I had and sold a Jinma 6" mechanical feed chipper years ago. Cist me nothing because I sold it for what I paid for it, used ones (any pto chipper) used is a rare item around here.

While my M900 Kubota was extreme overkill in pto power (mine dyno's at 93 pto), I extended the legs so the driveline would run level (was really made for a compact tractor, added a Weasler multi-plat slip clutch (was concerned running that much power might destroy it) and ran it for a couple years.

I stuffed some pretty big stuff (logs and big limbs into it and it ate them no issue). No slowing down with with 93 horses on the input. Did more than one maximum diameter (6") hardwood logs. It protested a bit but ate it.

Now, if I had run it on a less powerful tractor, I don't see where a small tractor could handle the power required to eat a big (6') diameter hardwood log but then I don't have anything to compare to.

I sold it for 2 reasons, one I have lots of trees and I was constantly chipping and you can only use so many chips in the border beds and two, I find that roasting them is an easier option with a lot less after the fact cleanup and work. Nice pile, bit of accelerant (usually used motor oil), a match and that handles it.

Would I ever buy another one, no way.
The big difference is gravity feed vs variable rate hydraulic feed. The "chuck and duck" gravity feed chippers are really hard on the drivetrain, as they tend to make the log jump up and down, with way more impact force than variable rate hydraulic feed. They tend to eat shear bolts too. I guess 93pto HP and a large shear bolt may reduce that problem. But for smaller tractors variable hydraulic feed is a must IMHO.

I don't want to burn as my property is not so big, and the smoke always goes somewhere. When people burn around me it tends to go right in my HRV intake...Of course if you are 100 acres then it really does not matter much, as long as you stay upwind.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #8  
426 acres here. I still have a few moldy piles of chips too. Takes a long time to decompose to humus.

If I was to ever consider another one, I'd buy a used commercial unit, sharpen the knives and call it good.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #9  
The big difference is gravity feed vs variable rate hydraulic feed. The "chuck and duck" gravity feed chippers are really hard on the drivetrain, as they tend to make the log jump up and down, with way more impact force than variable rate hydraulic feed. They tend to eat shear bolts too. I guess 93pto HP and a large shear bolt may reduce that problem. But for smaller tractors variable hydraulic feed is a must IMHO.
Really? I've used a self-feed (aka gravity feed) chipper for 25 years on a 29 HP tractor and never found an issue of any kind. A good design with belt drive may have helped, but I've never had any issue at all, chipping softwood or hardwood, or even old dry hardwood as long as it's under firewood diameter.

/ New wood chipper : guess the brand/model #10  
Rather high lift needed to put stuff into the chute. Looks like a Wallenstein or Woodmaxx.