“Disappearing” Lynch Pins

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #32  
I had a slough of lynch pins that weren't flat against the 'work side' and those would pop off so bad, I just gave up and used 3/8ths bolts with jam nuts. They are still on there (on the tractor side). Only later did I discover the problem was the crummy pins.

For other implements I use those big bent washers that came with my Pat's quick connects. Those really help me.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #33  
Lynch pins are considered a consumable.... consumed by brush, soil, forgetfulness, tires.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #34  
I am inexperienced but it seems to me a lynch pin should not pop out if installed correctly. Two guys were running tractors at deer camp this weekend and had a spreader and rototiller come off the 3PH. One swears he had the lynch pin installed and it must have broken off....that seems unlikely too.

Seems more likely it was not snapped closed

Opinions?
Easy for brush to pop open the lynch pins.
Is the reason that I use bolts with lock nuts on the 3ph as well as the iMatch. The combination is much safer from losing pins and getting the resulting casting failures that can easily happen.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #35  
I am inexperienced but it seems to me a lynch pin should not pop out if installed correctly. Two guys were running tractors at deer camp this weekend and had a spreader and rototiller come off the 3PH. One swears he had the lynch pin installed and it must have broken off....that seems unlikely too.

Seems more likely it was not snapped closed

Opinions?
shooter don, in the above incidents, did the operators have the stabiliser bars fitted? On some tractors the 3ph with out stabiliser bars fitted will swing from side to side and hit the rear tyres and the side of the tread will open the lynch pin and then flick the lynch pin out and the first you know about it is when the attatchment falls off the tractor. The problem is easily fixed by fitting the stabiliser bars so the 3ph cannot touch the tyres.
Also use good quality lynch pins, with strong springs.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins
shooter don, in the above incidents, did the operators have the stabiliser bars fitted? On some tractors the 3ph with out stabiliser bars fitted will swing from side to side and hit the rear tyres and the side of the tread will open the lynch pin and then flick the lynch pin out and the first you know about it is when the attatchment falls off the tractor. The problem is easily fixed by fitting the stabiliser bars so the 3ph cannot touch the tyres.
Also use good quality lynch pins, with strong springs.

That is a good point and one I had not considered. Could have happened on one of the tractors as I know that operator does not check that stuff.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #37  
Not all lynch pins are created equal.. Quality lynch pins are worth a little extra money.. None are fool proof..

Like said.. If it is necessary to not loose one, use a 3/8 bolt with a lock nut.. The extra work to use a bolt and lock nut is worth it in the long run than to have issues with a lost pin..

For top link pins with the hair pin type keepers I use a zip tie or wire on the end to keep them from being pulled off by brush and such..

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #38  
My old MF has slots on each lift arm for (as I quickly learned long ago) temporary storage of pins during hookup. Otherwise they are gone in seconds.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #39  
I've had both the pin type and circle type both get pulled loose by brush. Recently a push pin type on the bottom arm of the HF QH came out, and the pin was wanting to drop out but was crassways and keeping itself in place. Put a circle type in place of it and taped over both of them. Have thought about putting a touch of Goop on them.

/ “Disappearing” Lynch Pins #40  
Me too. Change it for a nut & bolt.! Problem gone forever!!!