Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality #42  
for one thing your opening statement was vague if you go old school one can attach a long load to the side of a vehicle as I said old school you loose the use of the doors on the passenger side you can transport a long load

/ Truck bed extender legality #43  
I hope you don't leave. Your positive contributions and common sense are appreciated over here.

James
I would certainly agree. We are a peer group with some common interests. I expect and assume differing opinions and people making comments that they see as applicable. Rarely any good reason to be upset or characterize other inputs in a very negative way. A few salty characters among us spices the place too. Chips need not be on shoulders when we know no rancor was intended.

/ Truck bed extender legality #44  
I was wanting to make a truck bed extender that goes in the hitch like this

But what are the actual legal requirements.

Like anytime you leave a lumber yard with PVC or boards longer than the truck, they get flagged.

So is there a law or something that specifies a given distance or something?

I never see bike racks or cooler carriers that go in the insert get red flags.

Anyone know?
In SC, anything more than 4' past the rear bumper must be flagged (1'x2' red flag), or a red light at night. Can never exceed 6 feet.

/ Truck bed extender legality #45  
It gets harder and harder to want to contribute. Social media has ruined so many. It seems its just a game and words have no consequences...lets see who can be the most offensive.....and if you take offense to what someone says then you are just a "snowflake". ITs sickening. Too many keyboard warriors and free speech blah blah blah. They dont treat posts like a face to face conversation with another human being because they can hide behind a keyboard and screen.

This post is proof of that. And I still cannot believe the number of people defending the useless comment and trying to justify it by saying they didnt know what my plan was. Like does it even matter? I asked a simple question as to what was required to AVOID a red flag. Regardless of my intent, How is simply say to use a flag and not worry about it useful to ANYONE?

Just tired of the usless BS that goes along with commenting here anymore really. How many other people that used to be very active here and highly knowledgeable have slipped by the wayside for the same reasons. Just a bunch of ungrateful and argumentative people run the good folks off. The forum as a whole is loosing good content in lieu of BS useless filler and its sad to see.

Wow, my comment sent you that far over the cliff? Maybe online forums are not for you, I actually find this to be one of the most relaxed and welcoming forums I have ever been on. If you simply ignored my comment, instead of making your comment which actually created the drama, there wouldn't have been a single reference to it.

and as much as you felt my comment was useless, its a pretty accurate overall statement. If your that worried about law enforcement, then why ever give them a reason? I have a CDL for over 20 years, and did inspections side by side with state police for years. At the end of the day if law enforcement feels like giving you a ticket, they will find a reason. They could fail a brand new bus if they chose too (and they did from time to time when inspection time came around).

what happens if your at 3'11" and your load shifts and now your at 4'1"? now its a ticket, again if your that worried, is your argument to the officer, " well someone on TBN told me it was under 4 feet" no, I would be looking that up myself, considering laws are different per state.

so my comment remains the same as before, even after being provided real information, put a flag on it, and don't give them a reason to look for a reason to give you a ticket.

Remember everyone is allowed an opinion, no matter if you like it or not.

Good Luck with your venture and try to smile, this type of stuff is not remotely worth getting riled up over.

Last edited:
   / Truck bed extender legality #46  
Face to face conversation between one guy and anyone that reads or posts? Lotta faces here to be picky, IMO. PM if it's gotta be that personal? 'How it is' is sure to catch up to each/all of us sooner or later. btw, how many rants needed per unwelcome post? Don't we all troll a bit?

/ Truck bed extender legality #47  
WI law......

347.20  Lamp or flag on projecting load or fixture.

(1)  No person shall operate on a highway during hours of darkness any vehicle with a load or fixture thereon extending more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body thereof unless there is displayed at the extreme rear end of the load or fixture a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern shall be in addition to any tail lamp or clearance lamp which the vehicle is required to carry.
(2) No person shall operate on a highway, at times other than hours of darkness, any vehicle with a load or fixture thereon extending more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body thereof unless there is displayed at the extreme rear end of such load or fixture a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square and so hung that the entire area is visible to the operator of a vehicle approaching from the rear.
(3) This section does not apply to vehicles loaded with loose hay or straw.

/ Truck bed extender legality
Wow, my comment sent you that far over the cliff? Maybe online forums are not for you....

No your comment didnt send me off a cliff. But even this reply is exactly what I am talking about. The "maybe internet forums arent for you"??? Really. Internet forums (this one in particular) used to have the "tone" of just a bunch of guys hanging around the garage having a cold one and shooting the $hit and helping others out when needed. Anymore no one cares what they say, helpful or not. Its all about getting a reaction or boosting post count (trolling).

Its comments exactly like yours is why I stepped away for several months.

Because it gets tiresome to simply ignore/scroll past said comments when they happen so frequently. It is far simpler to just abandon the forum all together and never have to worry about it again. Its funny that you are still trying to defend your statement....I asked a simple question. You post in no way came close to answering said question. So why even post? Just to troll? Just to maybe get a reaction and cause drama? Thats not helpful to anyone and is the single biggest thing I hate about other social media. Its just sad to see it has migrated to this forum.

/ Truck bed extender legality #49  
Not one single post answered his question.
Many said the law was 4' in their state but none answered his question.
People offered suggestions as to how he could do what he later said he wanted to do but those didn't answer his question.

Yet he picks ONE response (that made sense and was SUPER EASY) and makes a world shaking deal about bitching about it.

He sounds much worse then those he bitches about to me.

/ Truck bed extender legality #50  
No your comment didnt send me off a cliff.

Im just pointing out that its comments exactly like yours is why I stepped away for several months.

Because it gets tiresome to simply ignore/scroll past said comments when they happen so frequently. It is far simpler to just abandon the forum all together and never have to worry about it again. Its funny that you are still trying to defend your statement....I asked a simple question. You post in no way came close to answering said question. So why even post? Just to troll? Just to maybe get a reaction and cause drama? Thats not helpful to anyone and is the single biggest think I hate about other social media. Its just sad to see it has migrated to this forum.

Dude you seriously need to relax... Reading that much into a comment... yea I won't respond to your posts anymore... hope that helps you sleep better..