Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality
If you make one like that, don't make it like that.

Make it like this to avoid scraping at every little dip or driveway.

View attachment 713478

Bruce
I like that Idea ALOT. Such a simple and effective solution....and actually requires less material

/ Truck bed extender legality #12  
Heck I agree.. it is simple enough to build... just build 4ft or under & then like @Ford850 recommended it your load goes beyond just use a 1by or 2by & run it just past your load with a flag on it... you'll have a useful carrier either way & you can leave the trailer at home... (y)

/ Truck bed extender legality #13  
I wonder...

Is the truck bed extender part of the truck, and you can go up to four feet past it without a flag?

What if the extender has a set of lights you plug into your trailer connector?

Bruce

I wonder...

Is the truck bed extender part of the truck, and you can go up to four feet past it without a flag?

What if the extender has a set of lights you plug into your trailer connector?

Bruce
If I put lights on it....would it not be considered like a trailer?

I know the red-flag law I read mentioned lights if at night. I wonder if lights overrule the flag and make it not required?

Then I wonder about other type of things towed that do NOT have lights (weather they are required I dont know). But like logsplitters? Or the towable air compressors? I never see them with lights and they are definitely more than 4' long

/ Truck bed extender legality #15  
If I put lights on it....would it not be considered like a trailer?

I know the red-flag law I read mentioned lights if at night. I wonder if lights overrule the flag and make it not required?

Then I wonder about other type of things towed that do NOT have lights (weather they are required I dont know). But like logsplitters? Or the towable air compressors? I never see them with lights and they are definitely more than 4' long
Logsplitters and portable air compressor are classified as mobile equipment and therefore exempt from license plates and lights,etc at least in some states. Just something to keep in mind that the tailgate extender like is being discussed could also be a violations for obstructed license plate.

The pull over people for ball hitches and bike racks, and those rear carriers like people put coolers and electric scooters if the license plate cannot be easily read.

IMG_20210916_095709596_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210916_095650958_HDR.jpg

It's done. Inside of the required 4'.

/ Truck bed extender legality #17  
Do you plan to keep it in the hitch all the time or only when you are hauling something long?

/ Truck bed extender legality #18  
Nice...

/ Truck bed extender legality #19  
#When 'usefulness' of a reply is directly proportional to the description of the situation or need mentioned in a title or first post.

Tough crowd some days. May help to include how it makes you feel when asking for or accepting suggestions.

btw, you guys are fine by me. It's people that rub me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Do you plan to keep it in the hitch all the time or only when you are hauling something long?
Only when hauling. OR on the way to/from hauling when I may be empty....it will stay in there for transport