Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar?

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I discovered a 5 gallon steel jerry can full to the top with kerosene in my shed when cleaning it out. I put that kerosene in the shed probably 20 years ago and just plain forgot about it. Anyway, the can has been completely sealed so there is no moisture in the fuel. It doesn't stink like kerosene will if it has been exposed to the air and has started to oxidize. It is still clear. So now I have 5 gallons of kerosene I need to get rid of and it seemed like maybe mixing it with diesel and burning it would be a good idea. But maybe it's not. So, what do you all say? I figger someone here will know.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #2  
This from theprovidentprepper.org

Kerosene. Kerosene has a shelf life of up to 5 years when stored in original packaging or an approved container. As kerosene ages, condensation adds water to the kerosene. Bacteria and mold will create sludge and break down the fuel.

I wouldn't do it, were it mine to decide.

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #3  
If it was tight sealed, your not going to get any condensation. I'd still run it through a paint filter and add it to a full tank of diesel. Especially during the winter.

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #5  
This from theprovidentprepper.org

Kerosene. Kerosene has a shelf life of up to 5 years when stored in original packaging or an approved container. As kerosene ages, condensation adds water to the kerosene. Bacteria and mold will create sludge and break down the fuel.

I wouldn't do it, were it mine to decide.

If the above is true…..

Then, I agree with this:
Is trying to save $15 of fuel worth the risk?

Use it for parts cleaner, to start brush fires, etc. But not in a tractor

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #6  
If you can't find another use for it, round up all the old gas, old paint, etc., and take it to the landfill that accepts such.
I am amazed at how much I can find if I stop and look at what gets overlooked.

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #7  
Either 2 - 3 years ago I bought 2 barrels, 55 gallon of K1 kerosene at an estate sale... Both dated 1999.... One sealed and one with maybe 5 gallon used..

Both have a slight red tinge to them.. This from red flakes the size of what fine ground black pepper would be.. NOT red dyed fuel..

It was cheap enough I can use it for wood stove fire starters.. A toilet paper tube around rolled up news paper with a table spoon of this kerosene on it and good to go.. The 2 barrels likely equal a life time supply..

The original post does not list a location, so no telling if winter could cause a fuel issue.. Up here I buy the bulk of my stored fuel in the dead of winter.. This I blend with fuel blend of the season in spring and fall, and buy summer fuel as needed to not have little on hand when temperatures start falling..

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar? #8  
Pour it through a good filter,
check that it burns good using some paper for a wick,
if it does so ,
mix it with #2 and use it.

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar?
Is trying to save $15 of fuel worth the risk?

Use it for parts cleaner, to start brush fires, etc. But not in a tractor
It's not the money, it's the 60 miles I would need to drive to dispose of it at the dump. I think I would need to give them the jerry can also.
Eric

/ Burning old kerosene in my 40 year old Yanmar?
Since most folks here think it better not to burn it in my tractor l probably won't. After reading the replies here another thought occurred to me. I can run some through a filter into and see if it looks like any stuff gets caught in the filter. If the filter looks clean I'll see if I can donate it to someone to use in a kerosene heater.
Eric