Garage Heater

/ Garage Heater #11  
Personally I much prefer permanently mounted heat sources but short of that I’d get a propane torpedo heater. A diesel torpedo heater will throw way more heat but you don’t need that volume and the propane is cleaner.
I have a wall mounted Enerco infrared heater that came with a thermostat and mounting bracket that has heated my two car garage for many years. It heats the mass not the air. I only turn it on when im working in the garage or on the tractor. Propane is way cleaner than kerosene and any heater needs to be at least 18" off the garage floor. ( NYS Fire Code)

/ Garage Heater #12  
Cheapest garage heater -- don't stand too close

heater.jpg

/ Garage Heater #13  
Same situation here as the OP...a non-insulated 2 car garage that's also my shop (way too useful a building to "waste" parking a car in :D). I use a woodstove. It's one from my previous house that my wife thought too utilitarian looking for our current house. Mostly I burn stuff I wouldn't burn in the house...pine, spruce, punky stuff, etc. Burns hot, but not long but that's fine. Takes a couple hours to bring it up to 50° +/-, so if I have a project I'll start it up, putz around in the house for a couple hours then do what I set out to do. Got a couple 6" fans to circulate. Does the job, and there's no shortage of crappy wood around to burn in it.

/ Garage Heater #15  
Big fan of quartz tube electric heaters. I have some twin 16 inch tube heaters I use in our 30' X 35' insulated garage with a 12 foot ceiling. Easy on the electric bill, I can mount them on a wall if needed, and the tubes haven't burned out in 15 years. Just gotta remember to blow dust out once and a while. Since they are infrared, they can be pointed to a specific work area.

/ Garage Heater
Great information
The Val6 Daystar is one that I have used in the past. It puts out a LOT of heat. They are sold through local dealers and on Amazon.

edit: it looks like Amazon has stopped selling them but NAPA has them. I just realized that you are local, so check with Kepner Equipment in Canandaigua.
Hi. Thanks for the local recommendation. I'll check out the Val6.

/ Garage Heater
Hi all. Thank you for all of the recommendations and advice. I think my non insulated garage is leaky enough to invite fresh air without any extra effort. Good to look for a unit that has some kind of O2 safety shutoff.

I recall my parents having a kerosene heater for the house many years ago. And the smell... But it sounds like modern kerosene/diesel are much better about that.

I have one of those propane flame throwers already. Never even thought of the redneck option.

The Val6 or a propane torpedo seem like the best options for me. Time to go shopping.
Thanks,
Doug

/ Garage Heater #18  
For some odd reason, I have a thing about not having open flames around fuels and solvents.

I like the little ceramic electric heaters because they are low temperature and less of a fire risk. However, they are only 1000-1500W. They are OK for your immediate area, but I'm not trying to service a tractor when it is -20F either.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Garage Heater #19  
I had this problem in the seventies when I had no money and absolutely needed my car fixed. I found that if I put my wrenches in a bowl of warm water to heat them up that I could work much more comfortably. Obviously this limited my selection of tools but I got it done.

/ Garage Heater #20  
I had this problem in the seventies when I had no money and absolutely needed my car fixed. I found that if I put my wrenches in a bowl of warm water to heat them up that I could work much more comfortably. Obviously this limited my selection of tools but I got it done.
These days, I bet you could even use a heating pad, don't you think?

All the best, Peter