Garage Heater

/ Garage Heater #31  
Spanks, I use a waste oil heater at work but we generate about 2000-2500 gals of waste (mainly hyd) oil. The waste oil furnaces are nice but they are costly and use it up rather quickly.
If I was using temp at a home garage I’d consider bullet type propane or kero heaters. YOuTube has some decent vids on DIY waste oil burners, some clever people out there.

/ Garage Heater #32  
I looked at waste oil heaters a few years ago and was shocked at the cost. Unless you build your own I think it has to be a commercial application to make sense. I only have 5 or 10 gallons of used oil a year. I get rid of most of it by mixing it with pine shavings and putting a little at a time in my shop wood stove. It's great for starting the fire since it eliminates the need to fool with kindling.

/ Garage Heater #33  
I just don't work in mine when it's cold out. 40X80 14 ft sides. probably 20' tall in the center.
I can't afford to heat it.
My water lines comes in through the bathroom, which is insulated.
I just turn all water off except where it comes into the bathroom and use a small elect. heater for the bathroom to keep water from freezing

/ Garage Heater #34  
Low oxygen shut off is of course very important. But just having plenty of oxygen available, through leaky windows and boards or whatever is only part of what you need to worry about when you are burning anything in an enclosed space. Carbon Monoxide, AKA CO, will kill you even when there is plenty of oxygen available. And it can kill you slowly enough that you don't even notice. This is because CO sticks better to the hemoglobin in your blood than oxygen. Hemoglobin is what carries oxygen in your blood and delivers it to the rest of your body. Carbon Monoxide, since it sticks to hemoglobin better than oxygen, will crowd out the oxygen in the air you are breathing. And it doesn't let go easily. This means it builds up in your blood over time, whereas oxygen doesn't. So if enough CO is present in the air you are breathing it will eventually bind to enough of your hemoglobin to suffocate you, even though there is a normal amount of oxygen in the air you are breathing. And it gets worse, because CO not only prevents you from using the available oxygen and so causes suffocation, it is also a poison. So it is best you not only have plenty of ventilation, you must also make sure your heat source also burns cleanly. I have a CO alarm in my house for this very reason because I have a gas furnace.
Eric
with the proper amount of combustion air, and properly operating appliance, CO isn't an issue.
It only becomes an issue with inadequate combustion air, and a improperly burning appliance.
You only gonna find an ODS pilot on small gas appliances .

/ Garage Heater #35  
I looked at waste oil heaters a few years ago and was shocked at the cost. Unless you build your own I think it has to be a commercial application to make sense. I only have 5 or 10 gallons of used oil a year. I get rid of most of it by mixing it with pine shavings and putting a little at a time in my shop wood stove. It's great for starting the fire since it eliminates the need to fool with kindling.
I have the same problem. I just don't generate enough waste oils to even build my own burner. I did spend the afternoon watching videos of other folks building them.

/ Garage Heater #36  
with the proper amount of combustion air, and properly operating appliance, CO isn't an issue.
It only becomes an issue with inadequate combustion air, and a improperly burning appliance.
You only gonna find an ODS pilot on small gas appliances .
And there's the issue, improperly burning appliances. I know, you get a new appliance ant it operates properly. Then it gets used, gets kicked around, or isn't operating properly from the get go. Then it pumps out CO, you can't smell it, you get poisoned, and then, maybe you die. So when operating a fuel burning heater that exhausts into the space it is heating folks need to be aware of the hazard and take measures to protect themselves. Usually not a big deal. Only about 400 people a year die from accidental CO poisoning. But then 50,000 people a year are admitted to the ER for accidental CO poisoning. That number is in my opinion high enough to be concerned, that's all.
Eric

/ Garage Heater #37  
   / Garage Heater #38  
My work around was parking a warm car in the space next to me...

Always warmed up the space

/ Garage Heater #39  
When I DIY'd my home and garage I insulated the garage to the same specs as the home.
walls @ r20 and ceiling @ r 40. (wool batts are very cheap)
Never to regret, door was one issue but r 20 foam board and screws corrected that.
Door seals were made from floppy foam DIY wipes.

When absent heat is @ +/- 40 deg and easy to adjust when wanted.
No rusty tools or frozen paints.

/ Garage Heater #40  
I have a metal building.. I insulated it 2” foam boards
between the studs..same as the ceiling & covered it all w 5/8 sanded plywood..on the walls & 7/16 on the ceiling..
The 2 burner that sits on top of a propane bottle works great..especially if I have a small stand up fan behind it on low.. it pushes the heat directly where it needs to be.
In 15 minutes I’m stripping off my jacket..
But like I said, it doesn’t go down to the single digits down here in S. Carolina..