Diesel Additive - which one, and how much?

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much?
Thank you all for your responses. I think that i have decided to go with Dee-Zoll for an additive and Killem Biocide for the algae. It may be overkill, but at the price of fuel, not to mention my equipment, now days it's cheap insurance.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #32  
I have a Massey 165 and a John Deere 450C dozer. I used Howes for anti-gell. To keep the diesel fresh for a very long time, lubricate your fuel pump and injectors, kill algae, ect. Use PRID Diesel treatment:

This is the best stuff you will find. I have used the PRID in diesel and the PRIG in gas for over 15 years. Take the time to read up on it.
I never have to drain my saws, mowers, generators as the PRIG will stop the damage fuel has on the system.
I keep several 50 gallon barrels of diesel and gas treated, some are 3 years old. If treated as directed the fuel will stay fresh for a long time.

There is a place about 2/3 of the way down the page where you can click and read: Fuel Degradation In Storage, it is very informational.

My friends have switched over and like it. I buy it by the gallon and run it in my vehicles. I have been a diesel mechanic most of my life.

Good Luck

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #33  
I use Diesel Kleen in my 2003 Perkins powered MF. It adds back the missing lubricant (sulphur) in today's ULSD fuel and increases cetane rating. I get it at Walmart.

I have it in my Cat powered motorhome (HEUI injectors). Recently started the MH that had sat idle for 6 years. About 4 seconds of cranking and the CAT lit off like it had been run the day before.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #34  
I went with Hot Shot Secret after the Project Farm video. Had issues with power Service and been fine since switching to hotshot. Its a small bottle but you need very little for it to be effective vs other antigels.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #35  
Check out Hot Shot Secret web site. I have been using there products for 6 years now and I know I get improved fuel mileage with There EDT product. In both pickups. I get very few regens on my Kioti as it gets used there also. They have a lot of products and guarantee them. And you can call and talk to real people and ask questions. CDL Discount, Veterans Discount and they will let you stack the discounts. Fast shipping also.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #36  
I used Diesel Kleen but have a been talking with a close friend from church who is a retired shop manager from the local John Deere dealer and he recommends Lucas Fuel Treatment Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I'm trying that to see if it makes any difference.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #37  
I started using Howes after project farm showing it had pretty good anti gel properties for the cost. Especially since we're in transition between summer diesel and winter blend right now.
You don't really mention what you are looking to get out of the additive beyond the anti-gel properties.

Myself, I use Opti-lube XPD mainly because I'm also babying a Ford 6.4L.

Opti-lube doesn't mention having a biocide which I'd recommend if you're storing any quantity of diesel or if it sits in your tank for long periods of time. Experience with marine diesel makes me respect the kind of critters that go after it.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much?
You don't really mention what you are looking to get out of the additive beyond the anti-gel properties.
I just want to keep the fuel fresh. This is a 200 gallon tank that sits at our ranch to fuel farm equipment. It holds off-road diesel, and will not be used for on the road vehicles. I don't want algae, water, gelling, or fuel degradation. That is all.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #39  
I think you will be fine using nothing but a biocide. Keep it simple. Two things that bother me about additives. One is when the claim too much. You know, it improves fuel mileage, cleans injectors, ends world hunger etc. The truth is the people that make diesel would add stuff if it helped. They could probably buy these additives in bulk quantity cheap.

The second is when people say “I’ve been using xxxxxxx for 30 years and never had a problem”. Maybe if they hadn’t been using it they wouldn’t have had problems.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #40  
The second is when people say “I’ve been using xxxxxxx for 30 years and never had a problem”. Maybe if they hadn’t been using it they wouldn’t have had problems.
This is so true, the problem is that the second part cannot be answered. You have two choices:
  1. Wait until you have a problem to figure out that you should have been doing something to prevent it.
  2. Prevent a problem that you might not actually have.
Of the 2 choices I prefer the second option.

The makers of this stuff feed on people like me.