Diesel Additive - which one, and how much?

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #51  
Also, one company had 3 products while others had one....and not the lube formula. Some were used at the high end of the mix ratio while others were mixed at the low end. I agree...stale data at best. I also could care less which additives are better than others, I would just like a real test.
I liked the fact it explained additives
pretty well to someone who doesn't have a degree in organic chemistry like myself and gave some insight on what to look for in a additive. Totally agree newer independent tests need to be done for the hundreds of additives out there, for both gas and diesel, especially with all the extra stuff used for emission systems and higher pressure fuel systems.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #52  
OK. I'm new to this. I recently purchased some additional equipment, and I got tire of having to run into town to fill up five gallon cans every day. Our ranch is in rural Texas and a round trip to town take a minimum of an hour. Short is I bought a 200 gallon tank, got my permit for farm diesel, and got it filled. We are in Central Texas south of Abilene. Fairly dry, and usually not terribly cold. I know that I need to put additives in the tank, but what do I use and how much of it?
I use Power Services in the grey container for fuel hygiene. Directions are on the container. White container is anti-jel. On what it is, pull up the history of the founder and it will give you some insight that is does what it needs to do. Most auto parts outlets carry it including wallyworld.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #53  
I liked the fact it explained additives
pretty well to someone who doesn't have a degree in organic chemistry like myself and gave some insight on what to look for in a additive. Totally agree newer independent tests need to be done for the hundreds of additives out there, for both gas and diesel, especially with all the extra stuff used for emission systems and higher pressure fuel systems.

Who would fund all that testing? Not the manufacturers, at least not that I would trust to do anything but just show their stuff is best. We are talking thousands in products to test, plus the fuel, plus test equipment and weeks or more likely months to run the testing.

Consumer Reports? Project Farm on YouTube? Not sure there would be enough subscriber or add revenue to justify that. The government (not looking to start a political argument on "wasting taxpayer dollars" & government overreach vs something that serves the public good)?

Unfortunately we are generally left with making a best guess on what products (if any) to use. It might get us somewhere, that's good enough, buy won't get us to the best answer in list cases. My best guess is power service for anti-gell & a biocide. It works for me. Who knows if something else would work better, or if it's even needed at all. I'm not going to risk trying something else at this point.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #54  
I used Power Service white bottle for 12 years in late model Kubotas. Then about 12 months ago, I wanted to buy another bottle at the local Kubota dealership and could not find it. The parts guy said that Kubota Corp says the alcohol in the PS degrades the rubber seals in the injectors (I think that's what he said). So the dealership had an alternate product (BG DFC plus all season diesel conditioner) that costs $41 (treats 250 gallons). I didn't like the price so I went to Howes (about $10.00 per bottle at Walmart treat 320 gallons.) because it said it has no alcohol in it. The first twelve years with PS, all went well as far as I know. This past year with Howes, things are going OK as well. It claims no Cetane boost however.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #55  
I will just add I am not a fan of additives but am for anti gelling. I’ve had it happen to me three times and no others who have it happen. For reference I live in Illinois near the Iowa Missouri border. Like shown in the earlier video the fuel gets thick. In my case I was using Howes and unlike in the video my gelling it got much thicker in the fuel filter. I changed it and tossed it outside on the ground, it didn’t even melt when it warmed up. I suspect the paraffins separated out.

In my experience it has to get cold and stay cold. One night won’t do it. By cold I mean near zero. It can happen if if you store it inside and it’s heated. Twice on my Kubota BX happened when I was doing snow removal, cold slush was splashing up underneath.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #56  
I used Power Service white bottle for 12 years in late model Kubotas. Then about 12 months ago, I wanted to buy another bottle at the local Kubota dealership and could not find it. The parts guy said that Kubota Corp says the alcohol in the PS degrades the rubber seals in the injectors (I think that's what he said). So the dealership had an alternate product (BG DFC plus all season diesel conditioner) that costs $41 (treats 250 gallons). I didn't like the price so I went to Howes (about $10.00 per bottle at Walmart treat 320 gallons.) because it said it has no alcohol in it. The first twelve years with PS, all went well as far as I know. This past year with Howes, things are going OK as well. It claims no Cetane boost however.

Cheers,
Mike
From PS....only the 9-1-1 formula contains alcohol in it, neither white or gray bottle PS does.

Update on Power service and the alcohol.

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #57  
   / Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #58  
Thanks guys.........My next purchase will be the PS White bottle.

Cheers.
Mike

/ Diesel Additive - which one, and how much? #59  
Yup.

I use the biocide as I store fuel for a while & anti-gell as it gets cold. Both reasonably testable scenarios, not that I want to risk it.

Other claims may or may not be true. I'm pretty sure increased mileage claims are generally bogus. Better lubrication may be realistic but I I'm running a modern machine designed for modern fuel.
I'm sure all these Ram truck owners thought that they had pumps designed for ULSD fuel. 222k new pumps is going to be a costly recall.

Hagens Berman: Fiat Chrysler Recalls 250,000 Heavy-Duty Dodge Ram Trucks Amid CP4 Pump Defect and Lawsuit