Smooth new trail with pine stumplets

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #1  

CoryB

Tractor
2021 Deere 4044m, 1947 Farmall Cub
I have 25 acres that were cut prior to my purchase of the land. While most of the big stumps are still there, they are easy to locate and dig out. But the majority of the ground is now covered densely with 2-3” diameter pines.

Between my bucket and Woods mower, I can cut them down but I’m left with a plethora of short stumplets that I need to get out.

What would be the best method to get these out. The trail I’m currently working on is 1.6 miles long around the perimeter, so I can’t just dig these out. I’m trying to make it a smooth walking trail and something my grandson can ride on his atv.

At my disposal are my Deere 4044m, my neighbor’s Kubota MX2500(?), two backhoes, two brush hogs, a land plane, a small set of garden discs, a cultivator, a yard rake, a grapple, and a 4-in1 bucket.

Will some combination of these accomplish what I want to do? If so, how? If not, what do I need?

Thanks!

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #2  
Instead of chopping them off, try the grapple or 4-in-1 to grab and pull them out. Might work better when the ground is wet/soft.

Not sure if that will work, but it will take more time.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #3  
I want to follow this thread as well. I bought a walk-behind stump grinder to clear some stumps as I cleared for a home site. I bought a walk-behind thinking my needs for it will outlast my need for a tractor and allow me to work in tight areas and slopes that my tractor will not go. It worked great but it's work for sure. Waiting to see what others think here as well.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #4  
I have 25 acres that were cut prior to my purchase of the land. While most of the big stumps are still there, they are easy to locate and dig out. But the majority of the ground is now covered densely with 2-3” diameter pines.

Between my bucket and Woods mower, I can cut them down but I’m left with a plethora of short stumplets that I need to get out.

What would be the best method to get these out. The trail I’m currently working on is 1.6 miles long around the perimeter, so I can’t just dig these out. I’m trying to make it a smooth walking trail and something my grandson can ride on his atv.

At my disposal are my Deere 4044m, my neighbor’s Kubota MX2500(?), two backhoes, two brush hogs, a land plane, a small set of garden discs, a cultivator, a yard rake, a grapple, and a 4-in1 bucket.

Will some combination of these accomplish what I want to do? If so, how? If not, what do I need?

Thanks!
Those small stumps rot pretty fast you can kick them out in about a year or two if you get much moisture

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #5  
If you haven't already cut the small trees down, use the backhoe to take them out. With my backhoe, I use the bucket to push the tree over, then hook the base of it and curl the bucket so it pulls the tree out of the ground all in one piece. Then I use my grapple to pick them up and carry them to the burn pile.

If you have already mowed them down and you have a bunch of spikey stumps sticking up, I would just lower the mower and mow then as short as possible and let them rot away. Small pines rot really fast.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #6  
If you haven't already cut the small trees down, use the backhoe to take them out. With my backhoe, I use the bucket to push the tree over, then hook the base of it and curl the bucket so it pulls the tree out of the ground all in one piece. Then I use my grapple to pick them up and carry them to the burn pile.

If you have already mowed them down and you have a bunch of spikey stumps sticking up, I would just lower the mower and mow then as short as possible and let them rot away. Small pines rot really fast.
I would leave them high, then take them out with a loader bucket in about a year when they get soft.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #7  
I thin my pine stand annually. I leave stumps from 4" to 6" high. They rot out in a couple years. Would go quicker if we got more moisture.

I've pulled small pines - 6" or less on the butt - with the grapple on my tractor. Then I have to go around with a rake and smooth out the dirt at each pulled tree.

If the teeth on your grapple mesh up closely - you might want to give this a try.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #8  
Rent one of these
1638445990243.jpeg

you won't go back to anything else

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #9  
I've had good luck pulling small trees & stumps with this brush grubber:

I chain it to my backhoe or FEL bucket and pull them out. It may not be practical though since it requires getting off the tractor for each stump. It can take a while if you have a lot to pull. Having a helper makes it go much faster.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #10  
Try the bucket first. A few teeth on it would help. If that doesn’t work switch to the backhoe And get proficient at pulling yourself backwards.

If it were not for the short stumps waiting to poke holes in the tires plowing and disking followed by a rake would work the best.