Smooth new trail with pine stumplets

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #11  
I used a neighbors backhoe to pull out all the (small and large) stumps for my home site. Then sorted them out with my grapple then box-bladed the area smooth.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #12  
With 1.6 miles of perimeter trail that is how many stumplets?? Thousands?
And you want it smooth enough for grandkids to learn about ATV driving?

Well, I don't think that any of the equipment you have available is going to be able to handle that in a reasonable time&effort.

If it were me, I'd hire someone local with a small bulldozer. He can simply drive around the perimeter a few times scraping most all the small trees & stumplets out of the ground & pushing them to the sides of the trail.

Once the trees are to the side, the equipment you have available will still have a lot of work to do, but it is work that tractors with a bucket and grapple are designed to do.
And probably as much fun for a grandkid as driving an ATV.
You'll be years ahead.
rScotty

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #15  
At my disposal are my Deere 4044m, my neighbor’s Kubota MX2500(?), two backhoes, two brush hogs, a land plane, a small set of garden discs, a cultivator, a yard rake, a grapple, and a 4-in1 bucket.

Even a compact tractor Backhoe should deal with the individual 2" to 3" stumps promptly. Question is, do you want to spend the time to deal with the aggregate thousands?

Roughly fill the holes with the tractor FEL bucket, back dragging.

Follow by the Land Plane or garden disc, whichever works.

Final grading with the yard rake (?).

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #16  
1. root em out with the hoe. 2. get a half bucket of dirt in the hoe and see if you can cut deep enough to knock them out. 3. rent mulcher or harley rake.
4. little dozer would be cool.

from least $ to most $:)

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #17  
<snip>

At my disposal are my Deere 4044m, my neighbor’s Kubota MX2500(?), two backhoes, two brush hogs, a land plane, a small set of garden discs, a cultivator, a yard rake, a grapple, and a 4-in1 bucket.

Will some combination of these accomplish what I want to do? If so, how? If not, what do I need?

Thanks!
You left out the most important tools - the grandson, his parents and anybody else, like his friends, that might use the trail.

How good are your brush hogs?
As explained earlier on the forum:
Bush Hog Use on (2-4\") trees How do you do it?
You can often hog them down.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #18  
Cut them off with about 2-3' stump remaining and pull them out with a brush grubber. This works well up to about 2-3" in my experience. Leaving the tall stump to serve as a lever helps a lot.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #19  
That's what I do but I don't have a grubber, I use a choker chain with my bucket and they pop wright out. A helper would be nice to save time getting on and off the tractor.

/ Smooth new trail with pine stumplets #20  
1.6 miles of dense 2" to 3" pines.....What are you going to go with the mountains of slash and root balls you will have ?? How far will you have to move it ?? I think I would either hire or rent a dozer with a rake and build burn piles along the way or get a mulcher and grind it all up leaving the shredded debris in the trail.

gg