What causes this pine tree problem?

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #41  
Out marking trees for removal and saw this. Anyone know what it is?
I also agree with other post that nature may be at work here. the tree is probably dead and the bugs are just doing their duty... :)

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #42  
Yes - the beetle control is an ongoing project for me. It will never end here. There are thousands and thousands of acres of pines around my puny 80 that have absolutely no control program.

This is open range cattle country. "They" could not care less about the pines.
As a Colorado Forest Ranger told me once, "The Beetle problem in Colorado will end when the last Pine tree dies."

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #43  
I had the same thing on a few hemlocks, pileated wood peckers were all over it, tearing off the bark to get the beetles.
Woodpeckers... smh... little devils they are. They can rip holes in the sides of log cabins. Relentless fvcks. I gotta pellet gun and they are sooo smart and aware its very difficult to get even a long range shot at them.
They get the message tho even on a miss, and move on.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #44  
Eastern
Pine bark beetle.
Get rid of the tree. You can see where they have bored all around the cambium layer.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #45  
Beetles of some sort and you may as well sell the good timber if any, clear-cut and burn or remove the debris. Then convert the property to a more productive use.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #46  
Lots of good answers here. Some of them correct!
This tree is dead and has been dead for some time.
Long distance analysis? Cannot say from 3000 miles away.
S219 is correct in that there should be small holes through the bark. Larger ones with sawdust or pitch are a different insect.
If pine bark beetles have been killing multiple trees, you may find more obvious signs on trees that have not been dead for so long.
Pine bark beetles leave spider shaped burrows under the bark. Picture attached.

Attachments

• th (4).jpg
    th (4).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 85
  • th (5).jpg
    th (5).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 77
   / What causes this pine tree problem? #47  
There are four things I can say about this:
1. I don't know anything about tree disease.
2. I don't know much about pines.
3. I think you may learn more when you cut the tree.
4. I also believe burning that tree and any others may protect the rest.

Since these are things I believe, I would spend time (as you said) and find how many have problems. Is clearing them an option? I also would call the conservation department (if your state has one). Ask them to send help out to look at it. Our Dept of Conversation would do that. Good Luck. You have succeeded at the first step - Knowing there is a problem.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #48  
the damage looks like what I have seen with a pine sawyer …Pine Sawyers … if you strip the bark you may find the white larvae. But these may not have killed the tree as they also feast on logs from healthy trees that have been cut and stockpiled.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #49  
My brother-in-law bought a home in Arkansas in part due to the 5 acres of beautiful pines on which it was sited. My second visit he asked what could be causing so many to lose bark and die. I went climbing the hill on which they were located and spotted damage everywhere. He hated to see me rip into seemingly healthy trees but I had noticed small holes, and on those could easily strip the bark. Infested really bad. By the time he sold a year ago, half of his pines had been cut for use in bonfires. His location was south of Fort Smith, about 100 miles from the corner of NE Texas. We researched and learned Arkansas has a serious bark beetle problem. We learned: The southern pine beetle (Dendroctonus frontalis) is the most destructive native forest insect pest known to the 13-state southern region–most often targeting loblolly pine, shortleaf pine, and Virginia pine plantations, along with natural pine stands.

/ What causes this pine tree problem? #50  
My forester told me to thin the trees. If they are stressed from being too thick, they will be more susceptible to disease, and, in this case, beetles. Thin, and burn dead trees asap.