Lawn Roller fill

/ Lawn Roller fill #11  
Is there a reason that sand wouldn't be a good option?

/ Lawn Roller fill #13  
Is there a reason that sand wouldn't be a good option?

Deforming a plastic roller, rusting a steel one due to condensation ("dry" sand isn't perfectly dry), and getting it in the fill hole. The fill hole on mine is about an inch diameter.

/ Lawn Roller fill #14  
I've found that tilling an area for a lawn doesn't always guarantee flatness. Depending on how deep it is tilled, it seems that settling is not always consistent and may result in a less than flat lawn.

/ Lawn Roller fill #15  
DRY Sand....
The key word being dry.... Paint one side of a sheet of plywood black, place on saw horses, spread a thin layer of sand, let dry, put in roller with it standing on end... Repeat until full... It isn't a fast fill process, but if you want something you can fill and forget..... this is it.....

/ Lawn Roller fill #16  
You can often get windshield wiper fluid for less than $1/gallon. Think everything else would be far higher. Might put water in and a small amount of alcohol. Can probably look up freeze point of various methyl alcohol mixes with water and add whatever you need for the freeze protection needed in your area.

Lawn rollers are really only used to push new grass seed into the soil without compacting too much. Don't see any other use for them. And alternative that works well is to broadcast straw over the new seed. Then, it doesn't need that push into the soil.

/ Lawn Roller fill #17  
You can often get windshield wiper fluid for less than $1/gallon. Think everything else would be far higher. Might put water in and a small amount of alcohol. Can probably look up freeze point of various methyl alcohol mixes with water and add whatever you need for the freeze protection needed in your area.

Lawn rollers are really only used to push new grass seed into the soil without compacting too much. Don't see any other use for them. And alternative that works well is to broadcast straw over the new seed. Then, it doesn't need that push into the soil.
Never thought about using WW fluid....that's a good idea if one wants to keep the roller filled year long
(y)

/ Lawn Roller fill #18  
I've had my roller for several years now. It is made of steel, the largest one that TS sells. First thing that happened was the pot metal bearings broke. Next the cold pressed 90 degree angles broke and then the seam on the roller itself leaks. This year the two angles where the metal meets the tow bar broke off. I weld the frame and sometimes have had to bend the steel back into shape, but the seam on the barrel is too light of metal to weld so I have to use a water sealant once in a while. Keep an eye on the flexing of the towing frame as you use it and this is why I suggest WATER only.

/ Lawn Roller fill #19  
Never thought about using WW fluid....that's a good idea if one wants to keep the roller filled year long
(y)

even winter windshield washer fluid is expensive now - about $4 a gallon. I stock up at the beginning of each winter - paid $1.67 last Fall.

/ Lawn Roller fill #20  
Cheapest may be alcohol in water, methyl alcohol.