Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited.
Earlier this weekend I decided to check the mileage of my pickup, which I hadn't done in the nearly 2 years I've owned it. It averaged just over 22 mpg over 465 miles, which isn't bad considering that some was in town, and 1/3 of that was on the interstate doing 70-80 mph. Today I decided to start checking it again, at slower speeds. I left my house and kept it right at the speed limit. I wish that I'd counted how many cars passed me, sometimes it was like watching a parade. What was most embarrassing was when that Prius passed me. :D
Apparently my truck didn't like going that slow, either; after about 70 miles the check engine light came on. Granted it's a Chevy, so that's to be expected; yet it's the first time I've seen it on this truck.
I did good most of the day, never exceeding the speed limit. It was about 200 miles round trip and I was only 20 miles from home when I came up behind a string of cars which was poking along at 40 most of the time, only speeding up when somebody could get by them. After about 6 miles of that we came to a long straight stretch with no traffic; and I burned up all of the gas which I may have saved in the first 180 miles, passing that line of cars.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #253  
In 1988 I worked with a college student from Missoula. He stated that the summons for going over 55 was for "Squandering a National Resource" and that the fine was 1 dollar, payable to the officer. I don't know if it was true or not but it sure made a good story.
I lived in montana in the 1980’s. They had no daytime speed limits…only nighttime limits….

/ Road Rage, revisited.
I lived in montana in the 1980’s. They had no daytime speed limits…only nighttime limits….
Do you recall what those limits were? Feds mandated 55 at the time. As near as I can tell, the only thing that produced was some mediocre country songs. 😁

/ Road Rage, revisited.
Do you have limits now?

/ Road Rage, revisited. #257  
In 1985 I was stopped in Wyoming having been clocked doing 83 MPH. It was about 6:30 in the morning on a straight and level interstate highway and there was no other traffic on the road.
The fine was $5. It never showed up at my home states highway dept.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #258  
My life may well change once I pull that trigger but at least I'll still have a life.

If someone breaks into my house at night, I'm not going to wait to see if he plans to do me harm. I'll shoot first and ask questions later. In a situation like this, there can't be any stakes greater than your own life.

If the law wants to prosecute me, so be it.
5 seconds spent on second thoughts can make all the difference.
Reference Botham Jean and Amber Guyger for an instance where "Hey what the hell are you doing in my house" before busting a cap might have prevented two lives lost.

If you still stand firm on shoot first and ask questions later,maybe my personal story will turn on a light. When I was 21 me,my older brother and our wives were playing cards late one night eagerly awaiting a call from our oldest brother to pick him up at a nearby base where he had caught a hop from the West Coast. Someone tried entering the locked kitchen door a few feet from the dinning table where we were playing cards. I grabbed a 45 Colt Thumb Buster loaded with 410 shotgun shells off top of fridge and went out back door as my brother went through house and out front door. I heard running steps and saw a shadow going along side of house then a calamity, brief swearing then familiar laughter. Our liquored up brother took a cab and in his frisky condition decided to frighten his kid brothers as he had done when we were little. The possible outcomes haunted my brothers the remainder of their lives and still haunts me.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #259  
Each week people dieing due to road sideshows...

What was once just one cities problem has now become more than regional seeping into quiet bedroom communities where responding law enforcement is attacked... lots of road rage.

The big difference is bedroom communities often support their departments as opposed to refunding...

500 citations issued over the weekend at one sideshow!!!

/ Road Rage, revisited. #260  
Multi Agency task force often required as officers dealing with hundreds of people and vehicles are overwhelmed.

Some towing companies reluctant to tow due to threats.

Fleeing sideshow at 100mph on city streets struck another car and all went flying killing a pedestrian on sidewalk...

Whenever arrests are made weapons found.

I've been caught up twice just going home and there are no police to the rescue...

Total gridlock... and 911 saying we can't help you.as people pound on your car...