What's Your Favorite Sandwich...???

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #251  
I'll take a burger over a steak any day of the week!
I will cook the best hamburger that you ever had,,
and,,
I will cook the best ribeye you ever had,,

trust me,, you will choose the ribeye,,

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...???
I use ground ribeye to make burgers...!

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #253  
I will cook the best hamburger that you ever had,,
and,,
I will cook the best ribeye you ever had,,

trust me,, you will choose the ribeye,,
I'll accept that challenge...I cook the best steak this side of the Mississippi! No secret; I'll tell you my method if you tell me yours!

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #255  
I'll accept that challenge...I cook the best steak this side of the Mississippi! No secret; I'll tell you my method if you tell me yours!
I thought I showed it before??
I made a ring out of stainless steel, about 4 inches high,, it reduces my charcoal consumption by over 1/2.

B0fjCz0.jpg

Then,, the chimney eliminates starter fluid,, only a couple sheets of newspaper is used to start the fire..

iJnDWR0.jpg

Then, per the label, we mix Montreal Steak Seasoning that we get from Sam's Club,,
add Tony Chachere's and garlic powder.

kxZcswc.jpg

This cooking is so repeatable, I can grill the steaks using the digital timer on my phone,,
When the timer hits zero, the steak is done perfectly,, (we both like medium rare)

I can grill up to 3 steaks, or 5 good sized hamburgers before I have to remove the stainless ring.
Also, I cut the steaks using a ceramic 8" knife that is CRAZY sharp,, so it cuts fast,,
Everyone that eats at our house is addicted to me cutting the steaks,,
I cut the pieces relatively thin,, possibly the thin slices enhances the flavor??

When this grill rusts away,, I guess I will have to develop a new process,,
I can not find an exact replacement for the grill anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #256  
This is a repeat, but I'll post it anyway.

HOW I COOK MY STEAKS

If you have a reputation for cooking a good steak, let's hear it. I have several tell me I cooked the best steak they have ever eaten, and when we cook steaks at the Lodge, some want to make sure I cook their steak. Here's my story.

The first charcoaled steak I ever ate, I cooked it myself in 1959, when my folks bought their first charcoal grill. Over the years, my general method evolved as follows:

My favorite steak is a one inch thick bone in rib eye. I always buy the best grade of meat I can find; Prime, if I can afford it, but Choice will work. I will buy the marked down, out of date steaks if they have them; I try to let them age in the frige a week or so before I cook them anyway.

Take them out of the frige a couple of hours before cooking and let them come to room temp. I spray mine with olive oil, add a light sprinkling of dry mustard on one side and season moderately with Montreal Steak seasoning. I add about a tablespoon of Saute Butter on top (regular butter will work), and cover them with a paper towel until time to cook. Oh, you can omit the mustard and steak seasoning if you are a purist, which I was for most of my steak cooking days. I avoid meat tenderizer and garlic, acknowledging that the Montreal seasoning has some garlic added.

I use my Weber charcoal grill, and what ever charcoal I have; brick or chunk. After it is ready, I add my smoking wood..SEASONED Mesquite, Oak (blackjack) and either Hickory or Pecan. I use smaller chunks, so they will catch and burn quickly; about 3 or four small ones of each type. I do not soak them. I let it set a few minutes so the smoke will develop, and add my steaks, butter and seasoned side up. I like a medium hot grill; I don't want to burn them, but I do want them to cook quickly. A one inch thick steak, cooked about at least 5 or so minutes on one side will usually be plenty brown and ready to turn. Watch the fire that it's not too hot, sometimes I close t he top vent. I add another dollup of butter, and cook it a total of about 15 minutes or less for a medium steak.

It's best to let your steak sit for about 5 minutes at least before cutting into it, but it's hard to wait some times.

I think the key elements are: 1. Charcoal Grill. 2. The types and amount of smoking wood you use. 3. The type, grade and thickness of the steak; 4. Time and temperature; and to some extent the seasoning you use.

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #257  
Butter ? Makes my stomach churn, but I am lactose intolerant and butter would kill me (literally)

I use some (grey) sea salt, drop of fresh ground black pepper and a hint of garlic.
A red wine reduction for those that want it. Ketchup if they require.

Agree on the smoking woods and thick but not too thick 1-1.5"
With good smoking wood, grill type is less important, but charcoal does give the steak an edge up on flavor.

If the steak is marbled properly, why would you use butter ? Or heavy seasonings (heavy salt)?

(yes I know how to start a fight :cool: )

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #258  
Baloney and whipped cream.

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #259  
Butter ? Makes my stomach churn, but I am lactose intolerant and butter would kill me (literally)

I use some (grey) sea salt, drop of fresh ground black pepper and a hint of garlic.
A red wine reduction for those that want it. Ketchup if they require.

Agree on the smoking woods and thick but not too thick 1-1.5"
With good smoking wood, grill type is less important, but charcoal does give the steak an edge up on flavor.

If the steak is marbled properly, why would you use butter ? Or heavy seasonings (heavy salt)?

(yes I know how to start a fight :cool: )
No fight here; I was once a steak purist, and I NEVER added anything to my steak; not even salt and pepper until it was cooked. Over the years (yeah, my taste is fading a bit), It seems to me that butter and seasoning, instead of drawing out the juices, actually enhance the taste. There is also something related to putting it on a couple hours before cooking, that causes it to be absorbed instead of drawing out the moisture.

/ What's Your Favorite Sandwich...??? #260  
I think we are programmed to like salt from thousands of years of using it to preserve foods.

Certainly makes the taste pop, just ask any restaurant, it's their secret ingredient, like cheese sauce.