Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #61  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
I have a 1999 year model new Holland 3010s , 2 wheel drive, 50 HP Wish I had gotten the 4WD. It weighs 5000lb without the loader. Be careful in the hills, same principle applies to the bigger tractors.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #62  
I have a Kubota 35 hp 4wd. With the industrial tires I shift it to 2 wd on lawn. Then realize I haven’t shifted back while even rototilling because the wheels are spinning. Loader work - absolutely no comparison. Front snowblower is the same. This chassis goes up to 60 hp which is why I bought it to get the heavier frame and tractor.
I don’t have calcium in the tires (tubeless tires and don’t want to spend the money yet) but always have front end loader or snowblower and a rear implement for weight.
An older tractor that weighs more plus wheel weights/calcium would help if 2wd of course.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #63  
I have a Kubota 35 hp 4wd. With the industrial tires I shift it to 2 wd on lawn. Then realize I haven’t shifted back while even rototilling because the wheels are spinning. Loader work - absolutely no comparison. Front snowblower is the same. This chassis goes up to 60 hp which is why I bought it to get the heavier frame and tractor.
I don’t have calcium in the tires (tubeless tires and don’t want to spend the money yet) but always have front end loader or snowblower and a rear implement for weight.
An older tractor that weighs more plus wheel weights/calcium would help if 2wd of course.
Pretty sure no one is using calcium anymore, at least they shouldnt, Much better products out there that wont destroy your rims,

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #64  
A 6000 lb 2wd utility tractor is going to out pull a 2000lb fwa/4x4 compact

I run 2wds. I pull logs with a 2wd. Yes 4wd is better. I don't run the nice 4wd in the woods, I prefer the smaller, more nimble 2wd.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #65  
4WD with wheel weights

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #66  
Just get a crawler tractor. That will put an end to the 2wd vs 4wd debate. 🙃

128312033_3496490177113272_1133624672716603309_n.jpg

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #67  
I disagree that all the wheels need to be the same size to be called 4WD. Are not all 4 wheels driven?
You can disagree all you want, but in tractor terminology, that's the way it's always been described.

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #68  
Pretty sure no one is using calcium anymore, at least they shouldnt, Much better products out there that wont destroy your rims,
You would be wrong with that statement, used properly, calcium works just fine and it's heavier..

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #70  
NO 2 wheel drive very bad resale you can get a new Branson tractor from Keno Tractors for the price of a 2 wheel drive $23,400 with front loader which is a 35 HP. Lifting and pulling capacity is much better. If you want a 40-50 HP check out the prices 😁