Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #81  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
I've refrained from comments simple because you will always get many opinions, some relative and some not.

2wd tractors have their place but it's mostly in an ag setting, For personal ownership, I'd always get a FWA (front wheel assist unit) They will always cost more but the resale value will always be higher as well.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #82  
mainly to pull logs, power a chipper[...] terrain is fairly steep, [...]just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.[...]will the 2wd have enough traction. [...] trees I am harvesting are [...] around a ton.
You ever seen a Skidder? They are shaped the way they are and low to the ground and HEAVU and articulated and powerful for a slew of good reasons.

Tractors are general purpose utility vehicles. They don't do most things terribly well.
If you had or could create open woods or lots of trails in your mostly-level-ground woodlot a Tractor might be great. But on hills? With loads like rolly-polly one-ton logs?
Maybe a Cat D3 would be the better choice.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #83  
And....he has 4WD tractors for when he does need them. If there can be only one, it should be 4WD....well really front wheel assist, only those big articulated ones are really 4WD, right?

Yes. The ones that are not center-articulated with identically-sized front and rear wheels are classified as either front wheel assist or front wheel drive as the rears provide most of the tractive force. There are two different types of methods to drive the front axle, the very first ones were hydraulically-driven (HFWD) and the next generation was mechanically-driven (MFWD) and the distinction is still made due to this fact.

I use my tractors for hay and mowing. I shouldn't be doing either one when the fields are wet. If I need a four wheel drive tractor I'm doing the wrong thing and tearing up my property. For what you want to, do the question is are you going to do it in the mud? I'm the same way with my trucks I have two wheel drive pickups. If the fields are so wet that I need 4 wheel drive I shouldn't be driving around in the fields. 4 wheel drive is mostly a macho or security thing. Most people never have their vehicle in four wheel drive. If you're plowing snow maybe. Back when I was an avid bird hunter I always had 4 wheel drive vehicles but I used them in the Bush often off road.
As for the size of the tractor you need, I have a MF 50 and I wouldn't tackle dragging the logs you're suggesting with it. However for the same price you can probably buy a MF65, more horsepower, more weight, equals more stability. Only made in two wheel drive.

Hay and cattle are the main agricultural commodities raised around me, and most of the tractors are 2WD for the reason you state- if you need it when haying, you are doing something very wrong. The 2WD machines turn tighter than the MFWD machines of that size and are less expensive and require a little less maintenance, so it's a no-brainer why most of the haying tractors here are 2WD.

There are some 2WD trucks around here, mainly above 1 ton, and nearly all 2+ ton trucks are 2WD. Trucks get much worse traction than a tractor and I've pulled out a stuck 4WD pickup more than once with a 2WD tractor. My truck is 4WD since I bought it off the lot and that's how it came. Also, with pickups, you don't have the difference in turning radius or nearly as much of a difference in price between 2WD and 4WD that you would see with a 2WD vs. MFWD utility tractor. 500-700 pounds of weight in the back improves traction noticeably more than 4WD in a pickup, in my experience.

NO 2 wheel drive very bad resale you can get a new Branson tractor from Keno Tractors for the price of a 2 wheel drive $23,400 with front loader which is a 35 HP. Lifting and pulling capacity is much better. If you want a 40-50 HP check out the prices 😁

Resale at least around here is mediocre to poor on anything that is not a major long-time brand, namely Case/IH, Deere, Ford/New Holland, Massey-Ferguson, or Kubota. If you ask anybody around here about a Branson tractor, they would tell you that there is a New Holland dealership down there and that they went to Andy Williams's theater when they were in town. The major dealers often won't take a trade on very small/uncommon brands like Branson and the only place I ever see them for sale in this area are on Craigslist and occasionally at an equipment auction, where they go for the same kinds of bottom-of-the-barrel prices as the Chinese-brand tractors.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #84  
where they go for the same kinds of bottom-of-the-barrel prices as the Chinese-brand tractors.
Same here. If you mentioned the name Branson, most people would think of Branson Missouri. Never seen one around here and no Mihandra either or LS or anything but JD and Kubota A Branson dealer opened up, up town and lasted maybe a year and that was it. Only reason he lasted that long was he worked on lawn mowers and sold Branson mowers, a few at least. he's closed up now.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #85  
THis generated a lot more discussion that I thought it would. Some more info. I am only looking at 40-50 hp tractors, Massey 150, Ford 3600. I don't have an unlimited budget, looking at 4-6000 for the tractor. If it does not have ROPS, I will add that first. Main uses will be to power a chipper, power a farmi type winch, maybe bush hog, and if I find a loader, move logs onto the sawmill. No mud, I don't need to work when it is muddy or wet. The BX2230 and BCS 850 can handle all the snow we get, short driveway. Yes, our hills are steep, no crosswise mowing, but I can get to most of it on the ridges or the bottom if I need to pull. The timber I have is fairly large white pine, but I have no need to move more than a 16' log. And speed is not an issue, i'm old and slow. If I could find a 4x4 in the right price range it would be my first choice, I just haven't seen one.

IMG_4133.jpg

2wd on ag tires with tubes loaded with calcium. No rust issues 30+ year old tractor. That log is 36" butt and think there was 2 x 16' and 1 x 12' saw log in it.

$6000 will buy you a solid 2wd for what you want.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #86  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
Something everyone seems to be forgetting is you are working on steep inclines. Since I'm a retired truck driver I can tell you your first problem is ROLLOVER! Not traction! There are many ways to get a log down a hill, pull it, push it or just start it rolling and it will take care of the rest. TOP HEAVY is a prime rollover problem, need to keep everything as low to the ground as possible. My guess this is why you go straight up and straight down when mowing, my guess you are dealing with a steep hill. There are tricks to the trade since dozers do this all the time, moving on steep hills but at angles and most come with roll over bars called ROPS. Remember, the bigger the tractor the taller. We have a JD 3130 80 HP. and no way would I attempt very much of an incline with it.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #87  
I was cutting grass on some fairly steep hills yesterday with my 60hp tractor, 2wd no less, absolutely no problem at all!

I even managed to skid a few logs out of the woods,

Resized-20220802-150405-S.jpg

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #88  
4WD is not exactly an "add to later" option. It is not often I get offered an opportunity to say this in a nice and kind way -------------yes, you are crazy. Ha

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #89  
Yes. The ones that are not center-articulated with identically-sized front and rear wheels are classified as either front wheel assist or front wheel drive as the rears provide most of the tractive force. There are two different types of methods to drive the front axle, the very first ones were hydraulically-driven (HFWD) and the next generation was mechanically-driven (MFWD) and the distinction is still made due to this fact.

Hay and cattle are the main agricultural commodities raised around me, and most of the tractors are 2WD for the reason you state- if you need it when haying, you are doing something very wrong. The 2WD machines turn tighter than the MFWD machines of that size and are less expensive and require a little less maintenance, so it's a no-brainer why most of the haying tractors here are 2WD.

There are some 2WD trucks around here, mainly above 1 ton, and nearly all 2+ ton trucks are 2WD. Trucks get much worse traction than a tractor and I've pulled out a stuck 4WD pickup more than once with a 2WD tractor. My truck is 4WD since I bought it off the lot and that's how it came. Also, with pickups, you don't have the difference in turning radius or nearly as much of a difference in price between 2WD and 4WD that you would see with a 2WD vs. MFWD utility tractor. 500-700 pounds of weight in the back improves traction noticeably more than 4WD in a pickup, in my experience.

Resale at least around here is mediocre to poor on anything that is not a major long-time brand, namely Case/IH, Deere, Ford/New Holland, Massey-Ferguson, or Kubota. If you ask anybody around here about a Branson tractor, they would tell you that there is a New Holland dealership down there and that they went to Andy Williams's theater when they were in town. The major dealers often won't take a trade on very small/uncommon brands like Branson and the only place I ever see them for sale in this area are on Craigslist and occasionally at an equipment auction, where they go for the same kinds of bottom-of-the-barrel prices as the Chinese-brand tractors.
I have to disagree about a 2wd truck with weight having the same traction as a 4wd truck. Not even close. I have spent my career as a forester driving woods roads. We haven’t had any 2wd trucks since the 1980s because we wasted so much time with stuck vehicles who couldn’t access where we needed to go. Also, they are nowhere close in resale value in my region. In fact, 2wd trucks are nearly unsellable where I live. The only market for a 2wd truck seems to be for an urban service vehicle such as a plumbers truck. And this is even worse for a diesel truck. With the heavy engine over the front axle, these trucks have no traction in snow or any other challenging conditions; and weight in the rear is only a marginal improvement.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #90  
......on flat ground.

Our terrain is fairly steep.
For a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down.

Tractors have brakes only on the rear wheels. Going downhill, tractor weight shifts to the front wheels. The rear wheels are only in reduced contact with the soil. THEREFORE A 2-WD TRACTOR MOVING DOWNHILL HAS ONLY LIMITED BRAKING.

You cannot enjoy a tractor when you are dead.
Why have so many farmers had no issues for so many years but all of a sudden you need 4 wheel drive?

My guess is my husband is right when he states that too many think they know when they really don't.
Not be rude but everything he taught me about proper ballast, direction of travel and why would take pages to cover and he has 2 wheel drive tractors that go up and down the same hills as our 4wheel drive ones all the time without issue

Janet

Last edited: