2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !!

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #1  

mx125

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320
I recently replaced drive shaft and output shaft for second time on 2320 from dreaded u joint failure.

All seemed fine after. Today using brush hog… all good, but after period of time cutter was slowing and see that pto shaft slowing to crawl. Lift cutter and wait and ramps up again. Engine rpm was fixed. I did not know this was possible !! I thought the engagement literally moved a gear and locked to engine rpm. Ie it either moves or it doesn’t. Not a fluid connection. Seemingly not. And it’s def the pro shaft not cutter. Any ideas at all ? Did i do something on hydrostatic transmission side ? Very confused and concerned.

Actually I see in parts diagram that there is pro clutch. Do those wear out ….with heat causing a slip. It looks like a very deep/difficult repair. There is also a selenoid. Can it “partially“ lock after heating up??

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #2  
edit
totally misread what tractor we are talking about
a JD not Case IH
deleted non related response

How big of brush hog mower are you running?

Last edited:
   / 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #3  
mx125
Sounds, from your description, that the internal tractor PTO clutch is slipping. To confirm, do you have another attachment that uses the PTO that you could hook up to and test?

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !!
Don't know if this could be related but some of the big case IH take an RPM reading off of the alternator so if alternator belt is slipping it can affect control of the PTO including disabling it

From reading some have had to reflash the computer as well
here is a related thread

Yeah, hope you don't have to split the tractor for a new PTO clutch

It doesn’t shut off….just seems to slip. And then ramps up. Do these plates wear out ? i Can’t find much on pto clutches and it is so buried it doesn’t seem like wear part. I admit I don’t really understand to engagement function/solenoid. It there any way there can be partial lock. I will do Selenoid ohms test but suspect it wouldn’t show up normal test. And. It sure if that could even cause this.

mx125
Sounds, from your description, that the internal tractor PTO clutch is slipping. To confirm, do you have another attachment that uses the PTO that you could hook up to and test?
I can. It seems to take 20+ mins under load ( heavy grass) to start the bog. Have you seen these clutches wear ?

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #6  
I can. It seems to take 20+ mins under load ( heavy grass) to start the bog. Have you seen these clutches wear ?

They can wear just like any wet clutch, or the piston can leak/bypass. When did you change your fluid last? What are you using for fluid?

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #7  
It doesn’t shut off….just seems to slip. And then ramps up. Do these plates wear out ? i Can’t find much on pto clutches and it is so buried it doesn’t seem like wear part. I admit I don’t really understand to engagement function/solenoid. It there any way there can be partial lock. I will do Selenoid ohms test but suspect it wouldn’t show up normal test. And. It sure if that could even cause this.
Just slow down how fast you are going.

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #8  
I believe deere put a test port on that model so you can check pressure to the PTO clutch. Solenoid valve partially shifting, clutch pressure reducing or relief could be stuck open. Seals on clutch pack could be going. Running it slipping will ruin the clutch so I suggest doing some diagnostic testing.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
I believe deere put a test port on that model so you can check pressure to the PTO clutch. Solenoid valve partially shifting, clutch pressure reducing or relief could be stuck open. Seals on clutch pack could be going. Running it slipping will ruin the clutch so I suggest doing some diagnostic testing.
Thanks all for joining with advice. I appreciate it. I did just change fluid with the hydrostatic rebuild.

True yes I am not interested in slipping and ruining plates so will be aware. There is a lot in your post that sounds interesting and most would be better than splitting. I also fear it is something like you noted and I would be wasting a lot of time and money the tear down and find it didn’t fix. I have service manual and don’t see any reference to test port. I will look further.

So you think selenoid could be partially shutting ? With all the on off of the connectors on the rebuild maybe the connector voltage is screwy /loose and led to issue there ? Does that seleonoid actually provide the pressure to compress / lock clutch ? I just don’t see any detail in manual on the theory of operation there.

/ 2320 Pto shaft is bogging down / slipping !! #10  
I did just change fluid with the hydrostatic rebuild.

Okay, so you had a major hydraulic repair along with a major oil contamination. Does the tractor have a FEL? If so, the contaminated oil will have been in the cylinders along with the rock shaft cylinder and maybe power steering. Now that oil is in the system. I would at least change the filter and maybe pull a drain plug and catch a little to inspect it. If in doubt, change it again and clean the suction screen.