1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have a chance to get 250 feet of 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit for $350. I want to wire my barn. See any advantage/disadvantages in this?

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #2  
I see no advantage in that.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #3  
I used lots of 1/2" and 3/4" to wire my barn. Well technically not lots as the barn is only 35x72. Just wired receptacles and lighting fixtures. For me running thin wall rigid conduit would be more attractive then running flex conduit. Of course behind the walls no one sees. On the other hand wiring fixtures and receptacles is usually oriented to 1/2 to 1" conduit.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #4  
pulling wire in flexible conduit can be frustrating and more time consuming than it's worth. Most circuits in a barn can be run in 1/2"EMT or 3/4" EMT. MC cable would be fine also. If you can use romex it would be the cheapest and fastest method. Romex needs to be concealed in the wall for protection.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #5  
1-1/2” is huge. Too large for circuits and switches.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #6  
You could spend a fortune on fittings and boxes. I hate pulling wire into or fishing flex. Check your codes - you can probably run NM cable (Romex) exposed above eight feet. I prefer thinwall (EMT) for most wiring jobs. Most boxes have knockouts for half or three quarter inch fittings.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #7  
I ran all 3/4" PVC conduit only because I got probably 100 sticks for nothing. I would run Romex if it were me.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #8  
Agreed with all of above. Depending on circuit count and sizes, one ring of 1" or 3/4" EMT around the perimeter at ceiling height of each floor, with 1/2" drops to individual receptacle and switch boxes, is how I did my one barn with surface wiring. Worked beautifully, and was easy to reconfigure or upgrade, when needed.

1.5" would be wonderful to pull thru, and I'd consider it if you have multiple 30A or 50A circuits. But if only lighting and a few 20A receptacle circuits, you'll end up spending more than needed on fittings, adapters, hangers, and all the other associated hardware.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #9  
If you need the mechanical protection of conduit, I would use PVC. It's cheaper and stronger than that thin walled flexible aluminum conduit. Otherwise, as others have said, use Romex or BX.

/ 1.5 inch flexible aluminum conduit #10  
well it would help from mice and other things chewing on it,