1 inch before 1 1/4 water line

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #1  

Huntinguy

Tractor
Iseke TX1300
We are setting up our water system.
The pump is 20-25gpm rated. Feeding through a 1 1/4 line.
There is an unfiltered 1 1/4 irrigation line going out of the pump house.
The house, shop and studio appartment will be filtered water. All those lines are laid at 1 1/4 inch.
Here is my question:
The lines in and out of the pump house are 1 1/4. The contractor for the filters is suggesting using 1 inch equipment. The claim is it would be 2k cheaper that using 1 1/4 equipment for the filers.
There would only be 10 feet or so of 1 inch lines. My calculations make me think the short 1 inch can deliver around 20... 22 gpm.
I have no experience putting a smaller line in a larger line system.

Anyone have any experience with that kind of setup.

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #3  
If the 1" equipment ìs so much cheaper and your worried about flow and pressure drop, why not put 2 1" filters in parallel, giving max flow and less of a drop?

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #5  
If the 1" equipment ìs so much cheaper and your worried about flow and pressure drop, why not put 2 1" filters in parallel, giving max flow and less of a drop?
It is done. Check out the difference in filter costs as well. If you are trying to filter sediment, you might look at a Hellenbrand sediment filter, that flushes itself automatically.

All the best, Peter

Last edited:
   / 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #6  
A typical residential service is a 3/4" going into a 5/8" meter, back to 3/4" to the home. Even at 1", your going to have plenty of flow, unless your dealing with some very high usage situation. I dont know what type of filter we are talking about; but would it be better to run 1.25" upto a 3 way tee, and 3/4" each to the shop/apartment/home, with 3-3/4" filters at the point of service?

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #7  
How many showers in the house, and how many teenagers in the house?

Go with the straight 1 1/4" for the irrigation line. You should be fine with the 1" for a short distance for the household use.

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line
Haven't had a teenager is a long time.
It is our retirement dream. Home with a place for some cows, chickens and gardening.
Three bed two bath plus the studio apartment.
Filters, left that out, sorry.
Spin down filter, iron filter and water softener. Lots of iron in the water.
I never thought about loss in the filter system...
The 1 1/4 was put in when the house was going to be much bigger and bigger pumps. But... we had to scale back a bit.
We are trying to be financially careful but don't want to make a stupid mistake.

I think I am leaning to the 1 inch system.

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #9  
The filter manufacturer should be able to provide flow loss through the filter. Also, anything you have to push the water thru will slow it down. Filters, pipe, elbows ect.
What are you plumbing the house with? Copper, horrible flow charachteristics, too many elbows, but pretty. Pex, much better flow if you don't fill it with fittings, but doesn't hang as pretty as copper.

/ 1 inch before 1 1/4 water line #10  
1" is plenty sufficient for residential. With how efficient outlets are now I bet you could turn on every faucet, shower, dishwasher and clothes washer and not get more flow than 1" can supply.